• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford LN 7000

IDecline

I have a single axle Ford LN 7000 previously county owned, it has a cover over the back end that somebody bolted a trailer hitch to. It's not strong enough to safely pull or haul with. I'm trying to find a bolt-on hitch frame for this truck, does anybody know of a company that makes these or what trailer hitches has anybody added to this type of truck?

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Pics would be helpful, what are you planning to pull, is it a single bobtail with a 5th wheel. Is it a box truck delivery truck. How much weight, lengths etc etc.
Oh , swing by new members introduction, say hi.

crane operator

Most of the dump truck pintle hitch plates are welded in, not bolted. Usually a 3/4" plate slid between the frame rails and braced and welded. Google "dump truck pintle plate" there are purchasable options fairly reasonable.

677802-e835373a45f7561c4dd903b5f6e479bd.jpg
IMG_0573.jpg

IDecline

The plate the hitch is bolted to is already bent and the weld is separating at the top, maybe I just to re-weld and reinforce the plate.B254FEBF-7AC7-48B3-8436-07B99834CC7B.jpeg

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
The plate the hitch is bolted to is already bent and the weld is separating at the top, maybe I just to re-weld and reinforce the plate.View attachment 206824
I personally would cut all that scrap metal off and weld an actual plate in, can't really tell but that looks like it can't hold anything safely. It's a miracle no one has gotten hurt so far.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Not saying it should be done same on yours but mine is rated for 40k lbs and was engineered as such. Three quarter inch thick steel plate bent and bolted inside the frame, you can weld it if you chose to.6E40CE53-3C18-40AC-A5D6-C738A131825A.jpeg10CA5A58-4AC8-4133-8304-ADC4EBFB19C7.jpegF5BDADA3-0961-4A0A-89D7-F4FC36FD65EA.jpeg622BFD0A-5B2F-45CB-BAD0-38076AA50173.jpeg

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
I forgot to to add the reason I bolted mine on instead of welded it was two reasons, one I have drop frame truck at 236" WB and there is ton of flex when I go off road that would be hard on welds and two if I want to take it off and put it on another rig I can. This ones frame is on the way out the door.

Tags

I would do a Spud suggested, you have no idea how it's built AND it's already cracked, cut it off and install something that will hold up. Craneops pics are spot on as well as Spud, you don't want whatever you're towing to pass you on the road or even worse, end up hurting other drivers.....it won't cost that much to have peace of mind.....

Theweldor

Occupation
The Village Idiot
You have to step back and realize how much that truck can pull in low gear and build it accordingly. 3/4" plate is usually the norm for trucks that size and be sure it is well gusseted. Also I was told years ago by an Engineer that " If you are driving down the road at 55 mph and hit a 1" bump in the road it will multiply the load on that hitch 6x's." Just make sure it is put in there well.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Nice work.
Thanks, the local steel supply bent the steel, I had to drill the holes with drill press then sat there with 1/2 inch hand drill and went through the holes in the hitch for alignment on the frame. I need to invest in mag drill, my poor wrists after that. Also welded a tie back beam across the hitch for the receiver tube to weld onto too besides just the plate of steel. If you do it my way don't use lock washers they make locking nuts and no not the nylon ones. It's actually a fun project...