• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford L9000 with Cummins BC 350. What to look for?

Dig_Texas

I'm in the process of looking for a truck to replace the 378 Peterbilt that I was sold under false pretenses and returning to the dealer. I've found a 1990 Ford L9000 with a BC350 and 9 speed that seems in reasonable condition. I've decided that for just hauling my equipment around I don't need a flashy rig with all the chrome, bells and whistles. My max GVW is only 56K and I'm in the Texas grasslands so I don't need a huge motor or 18 sp. transmission.

I drove a Ford LTL9000 20 years ago that seemed to be a solid truck, not a powerhouse or loaded with all the gauges but was a good usable hauler.

Other than the obvious items, can anyone give me some of the problems or good luck they've had with this chassis engine combo. On other forums overheating has been mentioned as well as lack of good maintenance with SCA additives causing corrosion cavitation but not certain how to verify these items as I won't be able to haul a load around for a test drive to see if it overheats.

Also the seller says it has all new virgin rubber. Other than for checking for slop and free-play in the steering, any specific way to check the king pins. All new rubber does send me a signal that they might be trying to hide front end or other problems.

One good thing is that they have not steam cleaned the engine, tranny or rear ends.

Thanks in advance!

tbone1471

I have an ltl 9000 and it has been a great truck. It is a tandem dump truck and only good for 58,000lbs but I have to say for a single framed truck I am impressed. I also have a Peterbilt and I am impressed with its capability. The ford does not have the fit and finish the Pete does but it will out pull it. Both trucks are similar. The ford is a BC350 with 8ll and walking beams. The pete is a BC400 with 15 speed and air ride. The air ride scares me on corners and bumps in the road. I feel like I am going to flip. I would not feel comfortable putting a driver in the pete but I would have no problem putting one with even the tiniest amount of common sense. I have nothing bad to say about the ford other than fit and finish.

In doing a lot of off road work I did have a cross member crack. The only way I have ever checked king pins is by jacking up the front end on the axle and using a big pry bar to see if they move. I would buy another ford in a heart beat. Although spartan it is the best truck I have ever owned.

Dig_Texas

Thanks for the reply tbone. The seller seems to be pretty straightforward and said if I drive out there and he has misrepresented it that he would pay for my trip. I requested some additional photos of all areas that would be leaking and they all look dry and it hasn't been steamed. If I was going over the road or contracting out for heavy hauling I'd look elsewhere but all my jobs are within about 100 mis. Cruise control and an Peterbilt American Class interior would be nice but I have to consider what it's being used for.

ben46a

Hard to beat an L9000 with with a cummins for reliability. Good solid tough trucks. They haven't been built since 96 but even up here in the rust belt there's dozens still in daily use. If you drive it for a while and the 9 speed doesn't work to your liking, through an 8ll or 15 speed in its place.

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
As Ive stated on other threads, Ill take a Ford anyday. Ive owned about 15 Ford dump trucks in the last 10-15 years L9000 & LTL9000, Most of them had the Cummins 350 & 400, four of them had the Cat 3176. I have a 1995 L9000, Cat 3176 quad dump truck now and it makes the same as my newer, other trucks.
Alot of the Fords had single frames, but they were the wide and thicker frames, I never had any frame problems
I agree, the only way to check the front end is jack up the front end
My biggest issue with Fords, is the A/C system
Be sure to check the drag link and tie rod ends, just shake them, to see if they are loose, whatever brand it is
Good Luck

I'm in the process of looking for a truck to replace the 378 Peterbilt that I was sold under false pretenses and returning to the dealer. I've found a 1990 Ford L9000 with a BC350 and 9 speed that seems in reasonable condition. I've decided that for just hauling my equipment around I don't need a flashy rig with all the chrome, bells and whistles. My max GVW is only 56K and I'm in the Texas grasslands so I don't need a huge motor or 18 sp. transmission.

I drove a Ford LTL9000 20 years ago that seemed to be a solid truck, not a powerhouse or loaded with all the gauges but was a good usable hauler.

Other than the obvious items, can anyone give me some of the problems or good luck they've had with this chassis engine combo. On other forums overheating has been mentioned as well as lack of good maintenance with SCA additives causing corrosion cavitation but not certain how to verify these items as I won't be able to haul a load around for a test drive to see if it overheats.

Also the seller says it has all new virgin rubber. Other than for checking for slop and free-play in the steering, any specific way to check the king pins. All new rubber does send me a signal that they might be trying to hide front end or other problems.

One good thing is that they have not steam cleaned the engine, tranny or rear ends.

Thanks in advance!

I dont know much about, even the truck I own. But when I bought all 7 of my vehicals, none of them had new tires. I own 2 beat up l9000s. 1 with 64,000 miles on it, other with 320,000 on it. Good strong, but small trucks. Perfect for what I do. Ignore the tires and see whats up behind the,"wet tire". It may be hard to see.

I live near Detroit,Mi. I bought a long framed L9000 in Madison, Wi. When i got there, truck started great. I thought my prayers were answererd. Drove it for a 1/2 hour before i payed the guy. I was ok with what he said and I paid. 2 hour later while my wife falled me, she calls me. truck is smokeing. drove 10 hours more. got home and its bad. I got, got! I dont know if it was motor honey or what. $4600 later, my new truck is still parked. Dont let them tell you its the fuel injectors or turbo. money is not there now. When it is i will let you know what too look for.

KL90

I know it's been a while, but I just couldn't help but stop by. This year I traded in my baby 1995 FORD L9000 to a dealership. And I want it to be loved by a new owner as it was loved by me. So if you are a responsible driver who is in search for a monster dump truck under 250k mi, take her home and take good care of her. :(
6914176_w1024_h768_0.jpg

Best wishes