• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford CL340 question on how they operate

mpilihp

Occupation
Project management
So I have a CL340 that has an issue where the left and right sides operate differently.

If jacked up and turned off the left wheels can free wheel whereas the right wheels are locked up. My understanding is they should be locked up.

When driving the unit I can easily turn right by releasing the right level and pushing on the left because the right wheels lock up. But when I try to turn left by releasing the left lever it keeps going forward but drifting to the left a bit. It also makes a whining sound as if having the left wheels turning without the lever engaged it is forcing fluid through something when it shouldnt. To turn left I must pull the left lever back some to stop the wheels.

In reading about how these operate it was suggested the motor is what LOCKS up the wheels when lever in its resting position. I found and bought what the person said was a GOOD motor and replaced it but it does the same thing.

SO my question is what part of the drive system causes the wheels to be locked in the rest position is it the motor or is it maybe the valve used to drive the motor? As if its the motor then I just got unlucky and bought a bad one?

Thanks

Phil