• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford 7710 losing water

td25c

So far my repair has held fine,no water in the oil.We use the 7710 for mowing mostly.The grass is growing fast this time of year.Hey Stock.If I ever get over around EIRE way,I'll stop by and take a look at the ford.

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
F= fix
O=or
R=repair
D= daily

Or

F= found
O= on
R= rubbish
D= dump

td25c

We get along pretty good with the ford tractors.Stock,have you experienced allot of trouble with the ford tractor in the past?I have found that all make's will need repair in time.

Last edited:

Tex3406

OK thats a good trick to keep in mind, thanks for that. I suppose you use a fairly thin hydraulic oil? Or just engine oil so that it doesn't dilute the sump oil as it leaks in?

We had 2 Ford 9700 tractors, both the same age, one had porous block, the other has done about 8000 hours still on original block. Also a Ford 7710 that had to have the block replaced early in its life due to porosity. Other than that, they have been very good tractors.

td25c

fords as long as I have being playing with the spanners have had this problem,the newer xx block was a lot worse for going porous, everything from the 3610 up to the tw25's went ,on one occasion while ploughing stopped for lunch on my return started the 25 and noticed she was getting hot ,block gone porous.
The digger below is porous but we filled the rad with oil and every so often we just drain the sump top up the rad and away she goes ,the brother uses it around the yard for mucking out and other small jobs .(bonnet and grill were off to replace the fan belt )

View attachment 36929

Most of the John Deere I worked were wet liners and would pin hole if anti freeze/anti corrosion wasn't in place,or the o rings on the liners would perish, saw a Zetor once that got so hot the "O" rings were melted.

Vaguely remember reading a report that it was caused by ultra sound, bubbles formed on the metal of the block and as the bubbles collapsed they eroded the metal,that and defective casting well you know the result ...Some of their car engine also gave similar issues.
I prefer Internationals myself and I haven't had one of them go porous.

Stock,is it possible your ford backhoe has a leaking head gasket putting engine oil in the water jacket?This problem is somewhat different than other posts on the thread.I thought about the engine oil leaking in to the coolant system.There is a narrow spot on the head gasket where the engine oil pressure and engine coolant are separated .It's the oil passage that leads to the head for the valvetrain.If the gasket is bad it would allow engine oil into the coolant system.Here are a few pictures,the first is the 7710 gasket on an old block,the second pic is showing the oil passage,"in red" and the water jacket,"in blue"and the narrow gasket that separates them.The third pic is our 7710 and woods batwing mower.

Attachments

• lake&7710 005.jpg
    lake&7710 005.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 1,584
  • lake&7710 008.jpg
    lake&7710 008.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 977
  • lake&7710 009.jpg
    lake&7710 009.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 1,136

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Stock,is it possible your ford backhoe has a leaking head gasket putting engine oil in the water jacket?This problem is somewhat different than other posts on the thread.

No its gone at the cam shaft and there is nothing to be done for the block except use it as a boat anchor

td25c

I see.Engine oil leaking from the oil passage or cam bushing into the water jacket would be tough to repair.

td25c

Had to do a little more work on the 7710 this afternoon .

It's had an ongoing issue with fuel in the engine oil . It's somewhat of a compound problem as over time the injector pump will fill with fuel & over flow out the drip tube . This is a Lucas CAV pump so it has engine oil in the bottom of the pump .

I'm guessing the lift pump is leaking a bit and filling the injector pump over time . Then possibly the front seal on the injection pump could be leaking the fuel in the crank case ?

Pulled pump and replaced the seal & lift pump . Time will tell if it remedy's the problem .

Also noticed bearing on water pump was pretty shaky so we replaced it while we were in there .

Attachments

• 100_3283.jpg
    100_3283.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 278
  • 100_3284.jpg
    100_3284.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 297
Last edited: