• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford 655a cold start problems

OL MAN FITZ

Hey guys sorry to keep you in suspense,we had a snow storm then -06 below so I let it set.I found the cold start button on the pump!!!!,the thing is inside the pivot for the fuel shutoff, no way I would have ever thought it being there,thank you for the help.
2nd thing I discovered is that I do in fact have a thermostart, glow plug/dripple line combo.I had never noticed the fuel line, the top of the intake is quite dirty(black) the hose leading from the top of the valve cover seeps quite a bit,probablee some blow by going on.How this fuel line is plumbed is it is hooked to what I think is a return line from the injector,it runs behind and up,then loops down to the thermoplug.I think the length of the line is considered the reserve because it only pumps fuel when running, I started it with the line disconnected,it just dribbles out.I cannot see this being hooked to the fuel tank though as some have said.

I have started it with the cold start button but I did have it plugged in,it hit right away with lots of coal out the stack so that's worth using it for right there.I will be adjusting my cold starts to "fine tune" my starts.
I just installed the new thermostart this afternoon so I cant comment on it yet, should be one day this week though I have a pile of stumps im moving to the woodsline, it has to be cold this area is full of silty clay and it never seems to freeze.

Delmer

Yes, they're often installed with just the line as the fuel reserve, it must not take much!

You'll really like it when you have the button pushed in, THE glowplug working, and plugged in. Plugging it in is easiest on the engine, the other two save the starter.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Be sure that cold start button "kicks out" after starting.. U DONT WANT all that fuel while its warming up..
Bad things can happen.. The fuel that the excess fuel button allows is HUGE.. u dont wanna wash down your cylinders..
Your supposeta move the throttle OFF IDLE, push the button & it should SNAP into place{you should hear it}.. Start the engine & it;ll rev & the excess button should have snapped out..
Run your engine at about 1000 till warm or your ready to work it.. {not toooo long tho}
Hope this helps.. BTW, theres "suppose ta be" a rubber "boot" around the button.. is it there ??
IF it doesnt snap OUT.. pull the STOP slowly, THAT will kick it out of excess..
Happy Plowing.. I'm workin in my garden. lol