• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford 555C Not moving

ThatGuy76

I have an early 90's 555C backhoe that will start up and run no problem. the bucket and hoe work however when I try to put it into gear either forward or backwards it just sits still. no weird noises or anything noticed when trying. As I am new to owning one of these is there and idiot button or switch or fuse that I could not be aware of that is preventing me from moving? It was moving around earlier in the day but now it does not want to move. I checked the hydro and it is full, altho the color (to me) looks a little weird. any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

ThatGuy76

PowerShift or PowerShuttle transmission?

Powershuttle i believe its got the forward neutral reverse selector on the column

Clutch shutoff? My button gets stuck...

like the one on the loader bucket control? its honestly possible. im not 100% sure. I was using it and it was at idle maybe 1200ish rpms because it was dark and lights were on, went back in to move it as I was done and nope. all the bucket, hoe, riggers everything else was good to go just no forward reverse. Not gonna lie was a long rough day so I just let her idle low with lights off (throttle all the way down) for a bit than turned her off. I was not in a good state of mind to try and diagnose things after working all day.

Check Break

You have a electrically controlled shuttle. The F/R column shift switch likes to fail. You'll have to troubleshoot it to see if there's power going to and from. Check the fuse first. If it shorted, it probably blew the fuse. After that, if there's power to and out of the column shift, you'll have to trace out the wiring to the solenoids to see if there's power to the shuttle valve. Would be a good idea to pick up a manual and follow the electrical schematic, but they're not too complicated. Check your wiring harness connectors first as they may be suffering from just enough corrosion to break the signal.

Check Break

Just reread the prior post. If the switch to your dump valve is stuck, she won't move either because all oil pressure is being returned to the sump via the dump valve and nothing is going to the shuttle clutch pack. You can disconnect the dump valve and see what happens.

ThatGuy76

You have a electrically controlled shuttle. The F/R column shift switch likes to fail. You'll have to troubleshoot it to see if there's power going to and from. Check the fuse first. If it shorted, it probably blew the fuse. After that, if there's power to and out of the column shift, you'll have to trace out the wiring to the solenoids to see if there's power to the shuttle valve. Would be a good idea to pick up a manual and follow the electrical schematic, but they're not too complicated. Check your wiring harness connectors first as they may be suffering from just enough corrosion to break the signal.
Just reread the prior post. If the switch to your dump valve is stuck, she won't move either because all oil pressure is being returned to the sump via the dump valve and nothing is going to the shuttle clutch pack. You can disconnect the dump valve and see what happens.

Thanks, Ill take a look tomorrow when its light out. I have the BIG binder of all the parts and what not. that thing is a wealth of knowledge but when I am not very well versed in these things I would just be throwing darts at a board and hoping for the best. Thanks again.

aighead

Yes the button on the loader control stick. Mine, if I don't press it just right, will stick engaged, engine will rev but it won't go anywhere.

I only mention this because I know very little about the mechanics of these machines and it's one I've experienced. I hope it's something easy for you.