• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford 555 hydraulic screen

Clawed Backster

My old backhoe has been working OK, but lately the hydraulic pump has started growling, so I quit using it until I could look into the problem. I replaced the filter, and took the outlet pipe out of the bottom of the hydraulic tank to check out the screen. As you can see in these pictures, it is not a pretty sight. I am hoping that the pump hasn't been damaged.
Anyone know of a good place to look for a replacement screen, without having to turn to the $$$New Holland$$$ dealer?
20220930_131810.jpg 20220930_131745.jpg 20220930_131730.jpg

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Look up the part number and put it in the search on eBay.

I use the advance search. Put the part number in, check the buy it now box, check USA only, then use dropdown at the bottom to price, lowest first.

Clawed Backster

As collapsed as the screen was, I figured that it was probably torn, or split open, but it is not. I cleaned it up, but I didn't really try to straighten it out very much. Besides the screen being kind of bent out of shape, it seems to be in good condition. I am just going to reassemble things, and call it good.
The backhoe is just my old worn out farm machine, so cheap is good. It gets little use, and I definitely don't try to make a living with it.

Tinkerer

The collapsed screen has a greatly reduced surface area to filter crap from getting to the pump. Not a good thing.
It will plug quite quickly and quite possibly get a hole in it from the high vacuum. I have seen it happen.:(
That can badly damage the pump.