• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford 555 engine

cannedman

Occupation
Retired Information Systems Manager
I have purchased a Ford 555 1983 TLB that has a knock in the engine. I have a mechanic that has tore down Detroit and Cummings engines but this is the first Ford engine he has tore down. In the service manual it shows timing marks on camshaft, crankshaft , camshaft drive gear and the injection pump drive gear. The mechanic says the engine has been gone thru recently and has had the crank turned. The problem he is having is the timing gear marks do not line up. He says it looks like the engine is 180 degrees out of time. The engine starts and runs but does not have a lot of power, the oil pressure is good. Can a engine be out time like that and still run. Also, the injection pump gear does not have a dot or mark on it.

Any thoughts or comments.

TIA

Leonard

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I doubt it would be 180 degrees out of time and still run, may not be spot on timing though. Does it have any timing marks on the crank pulley or flywheel?

mitch504

It's been a while, but if I remember right, the marks on the timing gears won't line up again after the engine has been turned, due to the ratios of the gears.

I agree with Atco, no sorry, Willie59, it won't run 180 out.

koldsteele

Occupation
Owner Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Simms pump ? or Cav ?....You time a Simms off of the flywheel..theres a little cover below the starter ...Pm me and I'll walk you through it..