• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford 555 (1983) Throttle link removal

Michael Caravaglia

Does anyone know how to disconnect the throttle linkage (attached picture). For some reason I don't understand it's connected to the shuttle cover under the fuel tank, which I'm trying to remove. It appears to be grommeted on?

Attachments

• 20191106_142205.jpg
    20191106_142205.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 22

Clawed Backster

If it is like the one on mine, there is a sleeve which slides away from the end of the rod, which allows you to pull the rod up off of the little ball that it swivels on.

Check Break

Does anyone know how to disconnect the throttle linkage (attached picture). For some reason I don't understand it's connected to the shuttle cover under the fuel tank, which I'm trying to remove. It appears to be grommeted on?

It's a quick detach ball joint linkage. Pull on the outer sleeve and pop it off. Here's a YT video.

Michael Caravaglia

I was not aware of this sleeve and quick-connect, so thank you for the (good) information. However, removing this still does not release the cover plate. I have attached an annotated picture that should clarify the issue.

Any ideas?Shuttle Cover Plate.png

Check Break

You never have to cut anything to remove it, unless you're performing a short cut. Those look like hardened split pins to me. Standard Ford fare. Drive the pin through the bellcrank taking care not to bend the shaft through which it travels. I thought I'd give you a link to the parts page at messicks.com so you could see for yourself what you're working on, but this is one of those Ford parts that's hidden somewhere and I can't find it. I don't have much time on C-s and D-s and don't recall the part you're dealing with but if I were in your spot, I'd be tapping on that pin with a pin punch and moving on. If you are where I am looking at the bellcrank and the pin you've circled, drive the pin towards the cover plate. You should be fine, as the tab welded to the cover plate shaft supports the shaft.

Check Break

Ok. So I suffered some brain damage Monday and it's carried over to Thursday. For some reason I thought you said you had a 555C when all the time I was looking at your picture saying, that's the transmission linkage, but it can't be because you have a "C". Now that I realize you have a 555, check out these links on Messicks.com. That's the transmission linkage you're trying to remove, not the throttle linkage. Otherwise, drive out the pin as I mentioned above.

(03) Transmission. (07B10) TC Trans Control Lever. Part Nos. 30 & 31. https://www.messicks.com/nhc/48653
(03) Transmission. (07B01) 4x4 Power Reverse TC Trans. Part No. 67. https://www.messicks.com/nhc/48653