• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford 550 TORQUE CONVERTER TRANSMISSION

TrailBoss

Anyone out there ever have to work on one of these?

The other day I had changed out the fuel filter. The batter was dead so I was jump starting it. There was a younger guy that was there with me and while I was moving my truck out of the way. He jumps up and starts to play around on it. Seen him screwing around with the shifter and did not think much about it.
Well when I got on it would not go forward... but would shift to reverse and out again. But never up into forward. (was working just fine when I shut down the day before ) So I backed it to the barn to work on it thinking that there was a problem with the linkage. I took the fuel tank off to get in where I could see what was going on. All the linkage looks to be ok. I checked the oil and it looked to be a little low so I toped it off. I turned the tractor over a very times and it would then go into forward and reverse. I thought cool it is working must have been a little low of oil. I set the fuel tank back in so that I could run the loader. When it was running now it would not go into forward or reverse :Banghead . When I shut the loader down it would go in to forward and not reverse. Started the loader back up and now it will only go in and out of forward.
So I guess I am now down to how does the shifter work on the inside of the transmission? Can I get to what I need from removing the plate that is on top? I have looked on the new holland site and the detail drawings are not very good for trying to figure out what is going on inside. Does anyone have any other input on what might be the problem.

Thanks

chuck jacobs

Occupation
structural ironworker
i am really interested in finding out about your problem. i own a jd310c that is acting somewhat like your problem. good luck with your attempts to fix it. chuck jacobs

RCH

I also have a Ford 550 with a similar problem. Anybody have information on this subject?

deepwater

There is a roll pin just inside the housing which if sheered off could be giving you these symptoms. Unfortunately it will mean removing the transmission to rectify. The lock out valve doesn't like being shifted with the engine off, I think I have read somewhere in the manual not to shift from neutral without engine going??

trickortrauma

I know this is an old thread but, having just rebuilt my 1981 555 transmission it sounds like what you have is a valve body problem. You either have a blocker valve or manifold valve. sometimes the springs can break and it will not allow the pins in the valve to reset so you cannot reverse the gear. If anybody needs further clarification just reply to this thread and I'll try to help

Jeromino

Hello guys, I'm French (sorry for my English ...) and I've got the same problem on my Ford 550, no forward but backward....
I already checked oil level, good, but not checked the valve control system yet.
I'm very interested to get some help!