• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

ford 4500 mystery wire

94porkchop

anyone know what this is? the wire seems green and looks like it had something on the end broken off. it's still partially attached.

DSC01877.JPG

Last edited:

mitch504

Looks like half of a switch or sending unit on the end. Your neutral safety switch should be beside the 4-speed shifter, your temperature sender than turns on the transmission over heat light should be on the filter housing in front of your left foot.

Is that a deck plate over the transmission? If so, are you sure it's a 4500, not a 5500 or something?

94porkchop

yeah, i cleaned up the neutral safety switch-but the tranny temp sensor...how is that attached? this thing looks like it was broken off. none of my gauges work-so i'm starting the painful task of figuring out the wiring mess.

it's a 72 4500 with a sims cab. the 5500 were bigger

mitch504

Never thought of a 4500 w/ a cab. I don't think I've ever seen one, down here nobody wanted a cab until A/C got popular.

The trans temp sensor is just screwed into the base of the filter, in the trans filter lines. When a certain temperature is reached, it closes, grounding the light.

Those wires might go to the water temp guage and oil pressure light. The water sending unit is in the front of the motor near the water neck and water pump.

The oil pressure sender should be screwed into the block near the oil filter. It just grounds the light in the lower corner of the instrument cluster, ( the other one is the charge light).

If you have a chance, post a pic of the whole tractor, I'd like to see that cab.

94porkchop

ok-so i have a wire already going to oil sensor. these 2 are just hanging. i searched for the coolant temp sensor and i still can't find it. i don;t even see any wires runnning near the water neck. Maybe the sensor end is broken??

bowen

Occupation
Electrical Panel Builder
anyone know what this is? the wire seems green and looks like it had something on the end broken off. it's still partially attached.

Does the wire have any voltage on it with the key off or on?
If so you might try touching it to ground to see if any of your gauges move.

randyau6032

4500 ford wiring diagram for "C" serial number prefix View attachment 109845[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• 4500 wiring diagram for 1965 thru 1975 part 2.jpg
    4500 wiring diagram for 1965 thru 1975 part 2.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 694
  • 4500 wiring diagram for 1965 thru 1975 part 21.jpg
    4500 wiring diagram for 1965 thru 1975 part 21.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 690