• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

ford 4500 id help

94porkchop

hey everyone, i need some help decoding my new tlb. previous owner stated it was a 81.i think he lied. here is what i have found on the machine

D5011F =industrial, no pto, diesel etc
2L27B _is this a 72?
c357678 was the other number i found

i will posting pics soon. she is ugly and has a few issues.
thanks for any help

livetolearn

Occupation
retired
Your 4500 was made Dec. 27, 1972 on B shift in the C plant. The C357678 is your serial number. The F
is the type of trans. I do not recall the rest but I'll look up the numbers and get back to you.

livetolearn

Occupation
retired
porkchop,

I'm wrong about the date, your machine is a Nov. 27, 1972 day shift (B) . Ford did not use the letter i in its production code to avoid mistaking it for a 1, therefore
L is the eleventh letter(month) in the Ford alphabet code. The C plant is Highland Park, the trans(F ) is 4/4 T-C Power Reversing and the D stand for the model 4500,
(D5011F) the 50 stands for Industrial, the 1 is for diesel, next 1 says no PTO, and the F is again the trans.
I hope that this makes it easier for you to order parts when necessary.
It has been a fun learning experience for me in rehab-ing my 4500.

94porkchop

thanks for the info. i actually bought two as part of the package. the other one is mostly a parts tractor and it's a 69 i believe. It's weird because the cab on the 72 is more modern looking than the other cabs i have seen on other mid 70's. the 69 has no cab. i noticed your other thread on the brakes. i'm having the same exact problem. i'm about to change out the brake seal as well.i have no brakes at the moment.LOL

oh yeah my 72 has a pto vlave in the cab but no pto shaft. so i'm not sure if they were outfitted with it but my loader works without the PTO. so im assuming th evalve serves no purpose.

livetolearn

Occupation
retired
porkchop,
I looked up the Ford serial #'s , year 1972 started at 327200 and year 1973 started at 367300.
You don't have an extra 16.9X24 8,10 or 12 ply industrial tire you want to sell off your parts machine?