• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

ford 4500 backhoe hoses

shopteacher 1

I've gone and done it now:Banghead! One of the hoses that goes from the boom to the tractor has busted. I was looking at this and am trying to figure out how to get it out of there.

My thought is to stretch the boom and dipper straight out, disconnect the boom cylinder and raise it out of the way so I can access the hoses on the boom. The connectors are so tight together, I assume I will have to work from the outside in removing hoses until I get to the one that is blown. I was going to do the same on the tractor, making a diagram and marking the hoses with colored zip ties.

Am I on the right track here? Let me know what you think - I am open to any advice I can get on this one.

Thanks,
John

mitch504

I usually do those mostly from the underside. I've never removed a cylinder to get to a hose. There are bolt down clamps at both ends that when removed will let you move them apart a little. A set of service wrenchs, or cheap open end wrenches cut in half will help a lot, once you get them broken loose.

You have my sympathy, cause there is no easy way,
Mitch

jimg984

i'm a plumber and i use what called a basin wrench....its used for connecting the top supply line to the bottom of facuet...........Lowes has them

dwloop

i'm a plumber and i use what called a basin wrench....its used for connecting the top supply line to the bottom of facuet...........Lowes has them

jimg984, I have used basin wrenches... Have you been able to actually remove a hydraulic hose from a cylinder on a construction machine with one?? On my Case it would not happen... Not wanting to start a flame or anything, just can't imagine the basin wrench from Lowes would hold up.

A quality set of crowsfoot wrenches (not Harbor Freight stuff) is what worked for me in the tight places.

JM2C

Dave

jimg984

yes. have had some good luck with basin wreches,,, i use the Ridge brand they have two sizes the handle extends out for reachin farther into tite spots....Home Depot carries Ridge products,,,,,,,,,,,Lowes has one that fits on a 3/8 extension like ur crowfoot wrenches

shopteacher 1

Hey Mitch,
Thanks for the hint on the service wrenches - that was a great help. You were right about not removing a cylinder. Once I extended the boom, I had enough room to crack the hose connections.

My hoe has the clamp on the swing post missing as well as the one on the main from. As a result the hoses were jammed together in the swing post, leading to the one chafing through. I am replacing all six hoses that go to the backhoe.

My question is this, do you have any diagram or pictures has to how the hoses are to be routed from the main frame through the swing post to the boom?

It appears that both clamps have room for three hoses, yet there are six hoses that go to the backhoe.