• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

EthanJTWade

Hopefully someone may be a little smarter than me,. I have a 1970 ford 4500 bought 6 years ago and have been fixing it up as it breaks down on me. ( I did search the forums and Google a ton in hopes of finding info with no luck of finding what I need)

The extend a hoe cylinder is leaking and I'm trying to find out what seals I need for it before I tear it apart ( it currently still works and dont want to loose the use of the backhoe atm) as well Im trying to find out what sort of Wear guides I need to tighten things up as well as bushings and anything else I can fix up on it.

The backhoe name plate says it's a 19-561, but I can't seem to see any parts break downs showing the extend a hoe section.

I also have a rotary swing cylinder on this ( from my understanding it wasn't common in Canada)
I found a seal kit for it does anyone have experience with re sealing them? Pictures or guides? So far I've been able to just figures things out and torch/ reweld things that have broken but I'm now in need of some help/guidance.

31F53FCA-74CC-4A73-938F-61A7CF167ABC.JPG IMG_0319.JPG IMG_1486.JPG IMG_2316.JPG

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
Ethan, look on youtube for the Watch Wes Work channel he recently rebuilt a rotary swing assy. on an old Massey hoe, not the same machine but probably same process, pretty straight forward and informative.. may give you some insight as to what you're looking at...

EthanJTWade

Tinkerer

Last edited:

berky

I don't think an extend a hoe was ever available on a 4500, but not sure if Canada may have done something special. I've never seen one at least but have owned several. They used a chain swing setup not rotary motor. I think you have a transplant

Tinkerer

I don't think an extend a hoe was ever available on a 4500, but not sure if Canada may have done something special. I've never seen one at least but have owned several. They used a chain swing setup not rotary motor. I think you have a transplant
And, it is a side-shift.
It was 1 of 3 hoe options on the 4500 when it was new.
Ford did produce/offer extend-a-hoes.
This might be it. ????

sss.jpg

Last edited:

Tinkerer

Disregard the parts diagram I posted.
That isn't what Ethan has. The oil ports in the rotary valve are different from his.
The Ford side shift backhoe is a model 752.
I haven't determined how many variations of it there may be tho.

EthanJTWade

4500 -----> https://www.mycnhistore.com/us/en/n...actor/cn/ABF6724F-E6BE-E111-9FCE-005056875BD6

I don't know the backhoe model you have. There should be a tag on it with some numbers on it.
Something like 19-551;
Hopefully Mitch504 or someone else can help.

Go to the bottom of the page this link has, a TLB section is there and will show your 4500.
https://www.mycnhistore.com/us/en/newhollandce/light-equipment/loader-backhoes/cn/NA_F_S_49_LOA
IMG_0405.JPG IMG_0405.JPG

19-561 is the tag it's located on the pivot frame by the seat.

EthanJTWade

I am thinking the whole machine might be a little Frankenstein. The front loader is a 19-501
Backhoe is a 19-561. It's a 3 cyl diesel. here is a picture of what was written on the hood from before I got it.

IMG_2321.JPGIMG_2322.JPG

Tinkerer

Not many Ford side-shifts show up on HEF looking for help.
Actually I don't remember any at all !
The backhoe number you posted is the all important one needed to get parts.
Also the same is true for the loader !
The swing cylinder could be either a Cessna or a Dowty.
Here is the Cessna. --->cess.jpg
Go here for the entire Backhoe parts list. ---->https://messicks.com/vendor/new-holland/subs/industrial
In the B Series section, at the top of the middle row is 19-561.

Last edited:

EthanJTWade

I purchased the seal kit for the swing cylinder. The only place I could find it was in Australia. Used the AVspare website.Pretty sure it is the Dowty version. Seems like a video of rebuilding that type doesn't exist. Might be wise to take a video when I rebuild it.

What's funny is the 19-561 is the tag for what it is, but I don't have a auto dig. And that listing doesn't have a extend a hoe. Only the 75-81 550 shows it. I need to rebuild my lift cylinder so Ill look to see if both versions use the same one.

Tinkerer

Keep us updated on your progress, Eric.
It will help others seeking help in the future.
I would advise you to print or save everything in those parts books as soon as you can.
It is quite easy to do on a pc. I don't know how to do it in a Mac or tablet.
I spent a lot of time looking for that info and there is no other place I know of on the internet to find those files.
If the good people at Messick's decide to quit hosting any or all of those parts books you will be scr###d.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Funny you mention Messick's Tinkerer. This was in an email that I got from them recently. I guess they herd all the rumblings from those that were disappointed by CNH's new online lookup.

upload_2021-4-13_8-44-33.png

EthanJTWade

Hey guys I'm back, hopefully you all could help me a little bit more. Tons of research trying to figure this stuff out but I seem to have a hard time with it.
I am looking into seal kits for the hydraulic cylinders on my front loader of my ford 4500 industrial, (D5011F). It has a 19-501 loader on it. I have found different part numbers but I'm confused on what is right.

From Griffiths traders in Australia.
Listed as the seal kits for a ford 4500 loader
(F8026) 309984. for the lift cylinder

(F8027) 309985. For the bucket cylinder

On another website it shows a part number of
(Messicks and AV spare)
Listed
309960F. For the lift cylinder

309959F . For the bucket cylinder
For a 740series loader.

CNHI site doesn't list any loaders for the ford 4500?
Is the 15-501 a 740series loader? The diagrams for the cylinders show two completely different internals of cylinders
Any help would be appreciated so much!

Cheers,
Ethan Wade