• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford 445 TLB Stuck Clutch

Lonerock

I have a 1979 Ford TLB I have had for 25 years. The time had come for some needed repairs like replacing the water pump and the radiator, belt, hose, clamps etc. The machine was down for about a month while I bought parts disassembled the machine and cleaned and installed parts. I finally cranked up the machine now it runs better than ever, except that now the clutch will not release can't get it in gear, worked fine when I parked the thing for repairs. I am looking for ideas as to what went wrong. Never had a clutch problem. No inspection ports, no adjustments. This thing will be a bear to tear down to split the tractor to replace the clutch assembly. The 445 has a sub frame for the backhoe and yet another sub frame for the loader it will be a major job lots of huge bolts and heavy stuff to move. Any ideas will be helpful to get some insight.

Billrog

Occupation
band mill , backhoe and dump truck
Like mentioned put it gear press the clutch and hit the starter this should unfreeze the clutch from the fly wheel. If not try toeing it in gear with the clutch depressed.

rust farmer

I unstuck a clutch from a Ford 8000 that had not been started for over 20 years.
The way I got this clutch unstuck was like this:
With the help of a friend, wire the clutch pedal down to the floor and leave it there.
Pull the starter.
Buy a few cans of carb cleaner and a plastic hose that will slid over the carb cleaner hose.
Using a mirror and flashlight, look into the starter hole to get a general idea of where you should be directing the spray of the carb cleaner.
Soak the clutch plate down with the carb cleaner.
The carb cleaner is a degreaser so you don't have to worry about oil soaking your clutch.
Spray the clutch plate about once or twice a day for about three days.
I got lucky with the Ford I was working on because there were cutouts in the pressure plate that I could get the tip of a screw driver into and pry the edge of the clutch plate, that probably helped most of all.
Keeping the pressure off of the clutch plate and soaking it will free it up though.
Because the starter has been removed, try puting a wrench on the crank to see if you can roll the motor over, make sure it's in gear when you try it.
Hopefully the first two guys suggestions worked and you don't have to try my way , but if you can't get it loose, I would pull the starter before splitting the tractor.
I had no choice because my tractor was non- running when I bought it.
Good luck.

Lonerock

A note of appreciation from a Tennesse hillbilly! Many thanks to all who responded to my query on the Stuck Clutch. I will try all the responses and hope that something works. I certainly don't look forward to splitting the tractor. I will go to almost any length to prevent that action. Looking forward to Monday so I can start with renewed enthusiasm.

NOTE: I'm an old guy who retired from the Information Technology business and discovered heavy equipment late. I think if I ever came back in another round I would like to be a heavy equipment operator, I think it is a most fascinating and a somewhat unappreciated job. Thanks Again. bmiller@jocoed.net

El Hombre

We had a '70 F250 that was driven thru a deep puddle and left to sit for a couple of weeks and it rusted the clutch together. Tried all the tricks with over loading the clutch and no joy. Ended up pulling the trans to get it apart, and then bought a new clutch at the Ford dealer while we had it apart.

I think I would drill a hole in the bell housing so I could back off the clutch cover bolts before I'd split a hoe.

Lonerock

Success is at hand. Many thanks to all who responded to my plight with the stuck clutch. I started out on this query in a panic, thinking maybe I will have to split the tractor and replace the clutch assembly. I should never have feared there always is someone somewhere who has probably has had the same or a similar problem and best of all is willing to share it with the rest of the world. The idea from a reader who suggested I remove the starter to have a porthole in to the clutch area and to look for RUST and to devise a TOOL to PRY a bit on the pressure plate and then CLEAN the flywheel was right on target. The other idea to TIE DOWN the clutch pedal to release pressure was on target also. I now have a fully functioning 445 digger. I think the old machine is now in pretty good condition given that I have replaced the radiator, water pump, thermostat, hoses, clamps, fan belt, coolant, alternator and also the radiator cowling which some previous owner must have discarded. I may now at a later date have to paint and decal the old machine. THANKS AGAIN. Great Forum!
bmiller@jocoed.net