• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

For The Crushing/Screening Folks - Screen Deck Question

LuckyJ

Hello,

I am trying to figure out how to maximize production on an inclined 6 x 16 screen desck. Let's say, for example, I am crushing a 1/2" minus product (crushed asphalt). In order to maximize production, what sizes of screen cloth would allow me to get the most out of what I've got. I am thinking it would be (from top to bottom) 1.5", 7/8", and 9/16". The impactor puts the material through quite quickly and I get about a 3" minus product. Is there some formula or rule of thumb for screen size to maximize production?

Thanks

grandpa

I guess im not really sure what your trying to do,, if your making a 1/2 minus spec product, you bottom screen Has to be 1/2", but we need to know if your pulling any material off your other two decks? If your impactor is only crushing down to 3" and your trying to get to 1/2 it aint gonna happen.... your going to have to get a finer crush to get it all to pass the 1/2 inch sieve.... can you explain alittle further? Grampa.

muzy

So what are you crushing with? Jaw, cone, roll, or that other type used on soft rock like limestone? muzy
edit, I remember now hammer? lol

Last edited:

LuckyJ

The screen is inclined. A 9/16" screen will get you close to half inch as everything is falling at an angle. You get the odd oversize but for our purposes it works great. It works better than putting 1/2" in the bottom as that seems to treat a lot of 1/2" pieces as oversize. The top two decks spit out the oversize which is recirculated back to the crusher. This was just an example of one type of product we've made in the past and it does work with a finished product production of about 100t/hr. What I am trying to figure out is if there are tricks out there for deciding what screen sizes should be put in all three decks to maximize screen potential. For example, if the goal was to make 3/4" minus gravel with a 2" feed to the screen, what would be the optimal screen sizes to use (ie) I dont think you would put a 2" screen on top because nothing would make it past the first 3 feet of the screen. Or, based on looking at grandpa's comment would it be better to try and close off the impactor somewhat to get the in feed smaller (like 1.5"). I would rather leave the impactor open and try and better utilize the screen but I'm open to trying things.

Thanks for the responses so far.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
LuckyJ, just to let ya know, grandpa owns and operates a crushing plant in Minnesota. He's off line right now, but as much as I hate to admit it, when you're talking crushing, that old jackass knows his stuff when he's giving you advice concerning crushing. :D

grandpa

The screen is inclined. A 9/16" screen will get you close to half inch as everything is falling at an angle. You get the odd oversize but for our purposes it works great. It works better than putting 1/2" in the bottom as that seems to treat a lot of 1/2" pieces as oversize. The top two decks spit out the oversize which is recirculated back to the crusher. This was just an example of one type of product we've made in the past and it does work with a finished product production of about 100t/hr. What I am trying to figure out is if there are tricks out there for deciding what screen sizes should be put in all three decks to maximize screen potential. For example, if the goal was to make 3/4" minus gravel with a 2" feed to the screen, what would be the optimal screen sizes to use (ie) I dont think you would put a 2" screen on top because nothing would make it past the first 3 feet of the screen. Or, based on looking at grandpa's comment would it be better to try and close off the impactor somewhat to get the in feed smaller (like 1.5"). I would rather leave the impactor open and try and better utilize the screen but I'm open to trying things.

Thanks for the responses so far.

Luckyj,, lol, I don't know if you'd call them trick's or not. I would prefer to call it knowledge. I would never profess to tell you how to "set up" your screen for better production. Screen's are each different, that said let me explain. You can have two basically identical screen's side by side and each may act different.

First lets discuss the set up of the basic screen with some questions. 1. is your plant level form side to side? A level will work, but observation is still the best tool. What I mean by that is , actually go up watch the material meet and flow down the screen deck. Ask your self, is it in the middle of the screen, is it flowing out to the side so i am using the full width of my screen media? Is there pegging or plugging of the media happening? Is the screen vibration enough to get the fines off the coarse.? 2. is the plant set up right lengthwise? What I mean here is by the time the material get's to the output end of screen box are there many fine's left on that particular deck that should have passed through that screen?

These are just two of a plethera of question's you need to know when your optimum goal is "production".

As far as the optimum setting on your impactor, I run a primary jaw and my secondary crusher is a cone, so I have nothing to offer in the quirk's of impactor. lol. But in my system, the amount of recycle material returning to the crusher for another reduction pass is very important. I try to keep the amout of recycle as low as I possibly can.. every time those rock's go round and round, it all takes up space on your screen. If you can get it crushed as soon as possible and through the screen and out of the plant is optimum.

I hope this helped a little,,, there's is much much more to the science of screening. And I profess to be just a novice in the art.....lol....Gramp.

LuckyJ

Thanks for the responses. I didn't mean any disrespect in my previous post. I must have been tired when I wrote it.

The typical setup around these parts is jaw/cone as well. We use our setup for recycling purposes (asphalt/concrete) and do a bit of gravel. As for some answers to your questions...
- The screen is level from side to side and the material floats down the middle.
- I will observe the vibration to see if there is enough separation and to see what the end of the screen box looks like on each deck.
- I will also observe to see how much oversize is being kicked off the screen deck and returned to the crusher.

Thanks again for the suggestions and your time.

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
LuckyJ, following on from Grampa's suggestions and assuming the screen is operating to maximum efficiency, there are two areas that control your operation. The capacity of the 9/16'' screen and the capacity of the impactor.

If the screen is clearing easily, you could close the impactor down to produce more fines and utilise the maximum capacity of the screen. If it is already loaded, there is not a lot more you can do without putting another screen in the line. With the screen sizes that you are using above the 9/16" screen, I would rather dout that you would achieve very much by changing them.

If the impactor is already being choke fed, then closing it down will only slow the operation. If it is running easy and the 9/16" screen is clearing, you could gain some by closing the impactor a little, then you would be making more fines and reducing the repeat.

It is rather difficult making suggestions, without actually seeing the setup, but these are a couple of points that might assist you.

RnR.

grandpa

I suspect your crusher is the bottleneck of your plant...... I occasionaly crush asphalt down to 3/4 inch myself and my cone plant is a closed circuit type with a 5 x16 screen and the thru put on that plant is 350 tph (measured by scale) . Sometimes I can reach 400 tph but that is under severe dought conditions. So I really think you need to closely examine the crusher as the screen should produce two to three times as much as your getting presently. Gramps.

Bezzy

Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping the fines from building up in the hopper of a screen deck or the pan feeder of an crusher. The weather is cooling of here and the fines are starting to build up as we add material. The material is not wet but just damp from natural ground moisture. I have to clean out one to two times a day (1/2 hr each time). Thanks for any suggestions

grandpa

Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping the fines from building up in the hopper of a screen deck or the pan feeder of an crusher. The weather is cooling of here and the fines are starting to build up as we add material. The material is not wet but just damp from natural ground moisture. I have to clean out one to two times a day (1/2 hr each time). Thanks for any suggestions

I have lined some of my chutes with sheet plastic. This does help in some application's but not all. Some time's some manufactor's design some thing that just doesn't function properly..(imagine that lol) then your person design abilities have to take play.

I know these solution's don't help you a bit right now, but in your off season you might try sheet's or be thinking of a way to redesign to fix your problem b/4 next year.......grampa

Bezzy

Do you have any advice on how to make a factory belt lacing last the year until we can get the plant in and put a vulcanized belt on? I am having trouble with some 3-8" round rock on a return belt and i am trying to string it out until i have to shut it down for the winter. Any suggestions?

grandpa

Do you have any advice on how to make a factory belt lacing last the year until we can get the plant in and put a vulcanized belt on? I am having trouble with some 3-8" round rock on a return belt and i am trying to string it out until i have to shut it down for the winter. Any suggestions?

I need a little more info Bezzy.... what is your problem, the splice keeps tearing, are the rock's rolling please explain a little more. Gramps

Bezzy

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. On my screen deck I have a factory belts with a factory hing lacing and the rocks are punching thru and in one case the belt was loaded with material and at the seam one edge of the lacing pulled right out of the belt. The plant is a 2008 but it doesn't have many hours on it so i think the belt is just old. I was just wondering if there was anything i could put on or over this lacing to make it last another 2 months until i have to shut it down and get a vulcanized belt on it. You can't just add a clip in the middle of a hing lacing and i was hoping not to have to cut it out.

grandpa

Well Bezzy I don't think the belt is old..... if you'd check the ply of the belt, im betting its only a two ply belt. Two ply;s are cheaper and usually what comes on some of the new stuff. My preference is a three ply belt, espesically with the size of rock you are running on it... As far as something to smear on it to seal it back up, i've wished for the same thing many times myself. But i've yet to find the majic bullet. Sorry i can't give you any better help than that.... belts can be frustrating to say the least. Gramps

Boss

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. On my screen deck I have a factory belts with a factory hing lacing and the rocks are punching thru and in one case the belt was loaded with material and at the seam one edge of the lacing pulled right out of the belt. The plant is a 2008 but it doesn't have many hours on it so i think the belt is just old. I was just wondering if there was anything i could put on or over this lacing to make it last another 2 months until i have to shut it down and get a vulcanized belt on it. You can't just add a clip in the middle of a hing lacing and i was hoping not to have to cut it out.
What do you mean by hing lacing? Can't you put a saddle in the belt?