• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

For all the New York City guys

SKOAL

lol unions will organize to hurt people or things in new york

Ive seen some nasty poopy when the unions first started losing there power in upstate. Iam sure theres upstanding union members around the country and a few nice ones here to ,but dont for a minute think they wont resort to violence ive seen it fully backed or (hinted) by the halls!!! Dont forget theres money at stake.or maybe i watched to much sopranos

Last edited:

milling_drum

Occupation
asphalt mill operator (ret)
Here's where your story falls apart. I never heard of an oiler on a milling machine. Also if your company is nonunion why did they have a guy from the union working there? Calling people names like "lazy" and "worthless" is a personal attack, it's not logic.

Obviously a trashed machine is evidence something went wrong somewhere. If Co-fire had good UNION operators maybe that equipment would have been in better shape?

By NO means am I calling local 14b in NYC "Lazy" or "worthless" as a whole but they had some members that did not keep up to standards. They shut me out this year when the owner of the company that got this Years DOT milling in NYC because they had so many guys sitting already. I had no problem with it due to the past they have pertaining to them giving out union books to ANYBODY they could find that had ANY experience on equipment because they were so jammed short for operators after the collapse of the twin towers. THAT may have been what lead to them having a few second rate people in the hall in the first place and THAT is what lead to the Fed's comming in and taking them over.

I had never heard of an oiler on a mill either but the union had to make sure they had an engineer on the site because they did NOT have a mill operator that could run a mill and get the required amount of work done in a day due to NOT having experience. The oiler WANTED to learn a mill, that local (Long Island 138) was PLEASED to have me showing him how it worked and things went quite well.

I appreciate this sites Founder (Steve) asking us to tone it down a bit. I in NO way wish to antagonize anyone. The results of the union/nonunion poll were interesting to me because I have worked in the south for so long were no operators union exist because in my opinion, down there they need it more then ever.

Last I checked here in America, a difference of opinion on things wasn't a crime or cause to get bent outta shape. Theres good and bad everywhere.