• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

flat faced coupler connection issues

murphy777

Occupation
mason/landscaper
Granted its been pretty hot the last few weeks here, but I am having heck of a time manually connecting my flat face couplers from 97 NH lx 565 to a 4 in 1 grapple bucket, the first time a bout two weeks ago everything hooked up ok, one guy in the cab with the machine off, he toggled the auxilary circuit a few times to relieve pressure and I connected the hoses with just a little effort....The other day after sitting in the heat I tried to connect the hoses, with the machine off and the auxiliary hydraulic circuit relieved (or so I think) and I could not get those couplers to connect....I was sweaty and mad.

I was told the extra heat may have caused the fluid in the bucket lines and cylinders to expand and that I should bleed off a little fluid at the bucket hoses and I should be fine to connect, I agree with this temporary solution, but I don't want to be squirting fluid around every time I have to switch attachments during the summer...Also note I have not had this connection issue with my other attachments previously(hydraulic stone splitter, and snowplow) only the 4in1 bucket in the heat....

My question is , does anyone know of a product or fitting or valve that can be hooked up directly to the hydraulic lines that can allow for pressure relief and make it easier for mating the couplers...some sort of bleed off valve of sorts?? I have this pressure issue all the time on my mini ex when I want to hook up my tilt grading bucket, and I welded a ugly/special clamp to get enough force to attach the couplers each time, it works fine but it is still an extra step and sort of a pain. also the handy clamp won't fit in the space to attach the skid steer couplers....if anyone knows or has a thought on this let me know....if there is some thing out there i'd be a happy camper

05sprcrw

I just hook the connectors together on the attachment itself. This will let the fluid always keep an equalized pressure and will let you easily hook up, and it keeps the ends of the connectors clean.

Rob Gunn

I have had this issue forever with every pic of equipment I have ever owned. Even my newest Bobcat with the newer style flat face will give me issues once in a while. I'v just always kept a wrench in every cab that I can use to loosen the fitting on the back of the coupler. I know this will cause a little oil mess but at least I can get the coupling together and use the equipment. I have always wondered why manufacturers don't solve the issue with a simple bleed off in the system. Maybe some day...

Delmer

The problem is worse if you extend the cylinder tight and remove it under pressure, the expanding fluid has no where to go. When you store an attachment, keep the cylinder a few inches away from the end of it's stroke before disconnecting.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
When you change an attachment with cold oil in the hoses then reattach later in the day the oil in the hoses is hotter and creates pressure making it impossible to change. As Rob says loosen the fitting.

murphy777

Occupation
mason/landscaper
When you change an attachment with cold oil in the hoses then reattach later in the day the oil in the hoses is hotter and creates pressure making it impossible to change. As Rob says loosen the fitting.
yeah Ive done that in the past and it works, Ill also try the hose to hose connection trick for storage like 05sprcrw said, and leaving the cylinders in a bit like Delmer said...like rob said a factory installed or after market bleed off valve would be great.....maybe someday!
thanks for the info and help, I ll let you know what I come happens

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
IME, the 4 in1 bucket is almost the worst for residual pressure....it's hard to pick it up without moving the cylinders a little.

Worst case goes to the backhoe attachment.

Ed

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
There is a simple handheld tool made and sold in germany that fits over the two connectors(fits varoius sizes) and allows you to leverage them together... from what I hear they work great but so far I haven't been able to find them for sale over here. And I can't for the life of me remember what it was called or the mfg. name.

TriHonu

I have had the same issue with my 4in1. You have a few options:

1. Add a T-fitting and a small needle valve. You can open the valve and release the pressure before you try to connect.

2. Try a set of Parker IF Series flat face couplers (See page 14). These are flat face couplers you can connect under pressure (up to 2900 psi residual).

3. I have 90 degree fittings going into the couplers on my 4in1. This allows me to use a lever against the 90 degree elbow to get the first fitting latched.

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
I switched all mine over to a stucci single point coupler. pressure , no pressure, hot or cold they lock right in. they are not cheap. I converted 5 yrs ago and have never had problem with them hooking up.

Terryz

There is a male tip available that will couple under pressure. They are black in color. you hook this connection first and then you can connect the second coupler, I don't know the brand name; my Gehl dealer sold it to me; wasn't cheap but works good.

StumpyWally

Liv'in the Dream ---------------> in Ballston, NY
Occupation
PE Civil Eng'r, Computer Sys. Mgr., Retired
FarnerLund...what EXACT Stucci single point coupler did you use??

Ronsil...I would love to find a name for that coupling tool made in Germany that you mentioned!!

05sprcrw...I've tried to connect the ends of my attachment hoses together after I remove the attachment, & I can NEVER seem to do. They are FFOR connectors. Maybe I just don't have the strength necessary any more...I am 72, but a long way from decrepit!!

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
@StumpyWally: well I went through my web history and couldn't find the german site... but.... I did a similar search to what I did back then and ran across a few new variations of their quick coupler clamp tool:)

Found this ---> http://xboomcoupler.com/QCMate.asp

looks like a smart use of an existing product ;)

QC-Mate_ArmCoupler.jpg

The tool I had seen before was more streamlined and some lever and ratcheting parts, kinda like this but shorter arms for the connector brackets and minus the screw part and add a lever and cam/ratchet system to handle a wide range of lengths.

prodotherimage_large67_271.jpg

BTW: none of these showed up in my search a few years back when I looked but I do remember one of the guys on HEF had one of the german coupler tools or had used it that's why I started looking in the first place :)

Edit2: I see the irwin clamp is made primarily for 1/2 and 3/8 line sizes but I bet it wouldn't be too hard to rig up something similar for a particular size you might have and pop it on a clamp ;)

Last edited:

murphy777

Occupation
mason/landscaper
There is a simple handheld tool made and sold in germany that fits over the two connectors(fits varoius sizes) and allows you to leverage them together... from what I hear they work great but so far I haven't been able to find them for sale over here. And I can't for the life of me remember what it was called or the mfg. name.
I looked it up also, its from Holp industries in germany and its called a Quick on Tong ---www.holp.eu.... I made an ugly frankenstein version of this a few years ago to use on my mini ex before I knew they existed...I would love to get one, but I can't find a way to order them in the states and they seem to cost about 250-300$ after the exchange rate. any one else find one?

murphy777

Occupation
mason/landscaper
I switched all mine over to a stucci single point coupler. pressure , no pressure, hot or cold they lock right in. they are not cheap. I converted 5 yrs ago and have never had problem with them hooking up.
Stucco makes a ton of styles...which ones did you use?
Thanks

murphy777

Occupation
mason/landscaper
@StumpyWally: well I went through my web history and couldn't find the german site... but.... I did a similar search to what I did back then and ran across a few new variations of their quick coupler clamp tool:)

Found this ---> http://xboomcoupler.com/QCMate.asp

looks like a smart use of an existing product ;)

View attachment 184069

The tool I had seen before was more streamlined and some lever and ratcheting parts, kinda like this but shorter arms for the connector brackets and minus the screw part and add a lever and cam/ratchet system to handle a wide range of lengths.

View attachment 184070
I just ordered one of the xboom coupler clamps...should be in a week or so, I'll let you know how it works, I'm still looking into replacing my no name flat face couplers with the Stucchi brand or something that has a residual pressure connection allowance....especially for my mini ex

BTW: none of these showed up in my search a few years back when I looked but I do remember one of the guys on HEF had one of the german coupler tools or had used it that's why I started looking in the first place :)

Edit2: I see the irwin clamp is made primarily for 1/2 and 3/8 line sizes but I bet it wouldn't be too hard to rig up something similar for a particular size you might have and pop it on a clamp ;)

murphy777

Occupation
mason/landscaper
I just ordered one of the xboom coupler clamps...should be in a week or so, I'll let you know how it works, I'm still looking into replacing my no name flat face couplers with the Stucchi brand or something that has a residual pressure connection allowance....especially for my mini ex

Graham1

I just ordered one of the xboom coupler clamps...should be in a week or so, I'll let you know how it works

I'll be interested to hear how well this works. I have a set tof the Holp quick on tongs which are good, but no longer sold in UK and would like a second set. These look easy enough to make as I already have some clamps I seldom use.
Graham

Last edited: