• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Flashing lights for pickups / Speed turtle

crane operator

We're always moving around the cranes, lowboys, oversize nonsense, and I've taken to running "blocker" trucks more and more. Other motorists are never paying attention, and that's the reason for the blocker trucks. Flashers are somewhat limited, so I've been looking at lighting options.

Came across this the other day, and I'm just wondering if anyone else has used this system, or has other recommendations. This gizmo is either $150 or $200 depending on what truck you are putting it in, and basically uses the OBD II port or clicks in the lighting harness, and it blinks all the factory lights. You can program it to whatever you want to flash. I've got 4 different trucks that it would work on.

Any other recommendations are welcome.

Welder Dave

I'd check and make sure it's legal. I know certain flashing light bars are only legal on emergency vehicles. Not sure about flashing the vehicle lights. Maybe need a special permit for pilot trucks. It should make you a lot more visible.

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
I'm tight with what I earn. For less than $200, I could purchase 2 dozen of these bright, obnoxious little bas**rds. These are the best ones I've been using, and at $30 per 4 units, they are reasonably priced.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JM7BS45/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I know they are not "Plug & Play" but they are a lot brighter and more eye catching than standard flashing lights. You want peoples attention? Most any of the Whelen products (or knock offs) are blinding type bright.

I had noticed in the past that when moving a 13'6" wide dozer that people jumped onto the far right of their lane as far as they could. Move a 10'6" wide hoe and they don't even acknowledge you, let alone give you any room. My suggestion?? Make your load look scary............maybe paint some big teeth on it!

MarcusZ1967

Occupation
Do-All
I'm tight with what I earn. For less than $200, I could purchase 2 dozen of these bright, obnoxious little bas**rds. These are the best ones I've been using, and at $30 per 4 units, they are reasonably priced.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JM7BS45/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I know they are not "Plug & Play" but they are a lot brighter and more eye catching than standard flashing lights. You want peoples attention? Most any of the Whelen products (or knock offs) are blinding type bright.

I had noticed in the past that when moving a 13'6" wide dozer that people jumped onto the far right of their lane as far as they could. Move a 10'6" wide hoe and they don't even acknowledge you, let alone give you any room. My suggestion?? Make your load look scary............maybe paint some big teeth on it!
Heh.. landing lights are needed for some of these people.

That Speed turtle looks interesting.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
I'd check and make sure it's legal. I know certain flashing light bars are only legal on emergency vehicles. Not sure about flashing the vehicle lights. Maybe need a special permit for pilot trucks. It should make you a lot more visible.

In most places in the US you can have all the amber flashing lights you want. Certain other colors; red, blue and lately in WI green (County only) are regulated for police and fire and such.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win

Those are very similar to what we use. Wired them up on our little tilt deck with a toggle switch on the trailer to turn on and off, pretty simple installation.

Also have them on a flatbed dually in the grill and rear bed skirt. They are bright.

crane operator

We did a couple of those smaller LED's on my 100 ton after I wiped out the rotating beacons on tree branches. The one's I got weren't very bright. Just hard to see in the daylight. I'll try a couple of these and see if they are brighter.

I don't know what the local trash man has, but they are bright.

ianjoub

I know Ford had the factor option of LED flashers on the Super Duties for construction vehicles (could spec them on any Super Duty you order).

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I know Ford had the factor option of LED flashers on the Super Duties for construction vehicles (could spec them on any Super Duty you order).

I was going to order that but the LED's conflicted with another package I wanted more, IIRC it was the 360 cameras. Not sure if Ford has fixed that. I liked the fact is was factory integrated.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
In this province you can run amber, Ontario is blue. The province of Quebec, you run amber, but they have to be covered when not in use, so I would guess the rules on something like that would be different across the country. Buddy of mine is a fire fighter. He volunteered when he was younger, and bought a strobe light for his dash when he was on the way to the station for a fire. In the daylight it looked red, but the first time he used it was at night, and it was purple. The police pulled him over, and asked him" Just who would you be, the fashion police?"

Welder Dave

James Stewart was one of the fastest MX racers of all time. Several years ago he got pulled over by off duty cops and was charged with impersonating a police officer because he bought a gag flashing red and blue light that plugs into the lighter socket and pulled over a car. Really really stupid! There were concerns he wouldn't be able to leave the US for any races.

Camshawn

Occupation
retired
I prefer the old school rotating beacons. I find the new LED flashing packages are too bright. At night they are blinding. I always worry about hitting the people working because I am somewhat blinded by them. Even working around flashing lights, I found the old style are easier on my eyes. I had a magnetic rotating amber light that plugged into the cigarette lighter socket in my work van. We all had a them and the newer vans had LED’s built in as standard because we often worked on the road or had to drive on the sidewalks to access facilities . The permit was $10 to $20 at that time.

TrailerPriest

We're always moving around the cranes, lowboys, oversize nonsense, and I've taken to running "blocker" trucks more and more. Other motorists are never paying attention, and that's the reason for the blocker trucks. Flashers are somewhat limited, so I've been looking at lighting options.

Came across this the other day, and I'm just wondering if anyone else has used this system, or has other recommendations. This gizmo is either $150 or $200 depending on what truck you are putting it in, and basically uses the OBD II port or clicks in the lighting harness, and it blinks all the factory lights. You can program it to whatever you want to flash. I've got 4 different trucks that it would work on.

Any other recommendations are welcome.

In the United States you can have all the amber flashing lights you need!!

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
I've put a few of those is customer trucks usually upper level guys trucks they want to keep nice and trade in. Line trucks almost always get upfit with real lights.

One of the best things we started using on our trucks are Strobesnmore E66 light sticks on the headache racks. 6 head combo warning and traffic advisors, if you're in traffic having an arrow stick is huge, people are stupid, they need the colored lights going one direction or another or they have no clue what to do lol.