• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

fixing a jib/extension

nativwolf

I was looking at a RT740 crane with a broken jib, snapped off and tore cables. What's the best/worst case scenario? I could sure use a RT crane in taking down old barns but ..not if it is going to be a bear to fix it and we've only rented so I don't have any idea of cost when a modular extension or jib breaks. Otherwise seems like a good crane, just not sure if this is a $2000 dollar repair or a 20,000 repair. Thanks for insight

nativwolf

I was looking at a RT740 crane with a broken extension, snapped off and tore cables. What's the best/worst case scenario? I could sure use a RT crane in taking down old barns but ..not if it is going to be a bear to fix it and we've only rented so I don't have any idea of cost when a modular extension or jib breaks. Otherwise seems like a good crane, just not sure if this is a $2000 dollar repair or a 20,000 repair. Thanks for insight

ie, can I just replace the extension, bolt on the blocks and recable? Do i have to get all new cables?

Knepptune

I'm a little confused. A rt740 should have a swing around jib. The only jib that uses cables would be the swing under a frame jib. Is the A frame jib what your talking about? I'd do without the a frame jib if it was me. Does it have the 3 section boom or four section? The 740s with the long boom have plenty of boom and plenty of chart.

nativwolf

I'm a little confused. A rt740 should have a swing around jib. The only jib that uses cables would be the swing under a frame jib. Is the A frame jib what your talking about? I'd do without the a frame jib if it was me. Does it have the 3 section boom or four section? The 740s with the long boom have plenty of boom and plenty of chart.

I tried to correct that, it is not the swing around jib it is one of the sections and sadly, I don't know if it is 3 or 4. It is supposed to have be 114' so maybe that is 4 sections? Sorry for the mistype and confusion.

Knepptune

Grove called it a 112' ft boom if it's a 3 section. Which actually means it has 86 ft main boom and a 36 ft swing away. The 4 section boom has 104' main boom. Along with a 36 ft swing away. If it has a damaged boom section I'd move on with life. The 3 section boom on a crane that size is pretty pointless. You can find decent rt740s for pretty cheap. They have a heck of a strong chart for a 40t.

nativwolf

Grove called it a 112' ft boom if it's a 3 section. Which actually means it has 86 ft main boom and a 36 ft swing away. The 4 section boom has 104' main boom. Along with a 36 ft swing away. If it has a damaged boom section I'd move on with life. The 3 section boom on a crane that size is pretty pointless. You can find decent rt740s for pretty cheap. They have a heck of a strong chart for a 40t.

I might have the wrong model ..chart says 114 boom and 32' swing away. I can't actually get on the crane til next week so I just have pictures right now, pictures have no model numbers.

So, could I remove a section? How in the heck does the block attach to the end of the mast/boom? would there be a recommendation for a mechanic in VA.

Knepptune

That's it. Take a minute to appreciate the load chart on that old girl. 6000lbs at 80' radius. 1750 at 125'. If you don't mind the dead section there's no sweeter crane for apartment projects. The high speed hoist on that crane is super fast. We use to have four of those. They're just getting a little old for rental jobs.

One more thing. The 3208 cat is the only engine to have in that crane. Never worry about plugging it in. If the batteries spin the engine it'll Fire every time. O and they sip fuel as well. Burn less then half the fuel of a cummins or Detroit.

nativwolf

Well there are two of the pictures. Buddy thought I might be interested in bidding, now you guys might tell me he's no friend. In any case I really appreciate the insight.

td25c

Hey ........ I like easy decisions .

Thanks for the picture nativwolf

Someone was playing rough games with that RT . Looks like it bent the first movable section , boom extension cylinders wasted , Bad deal . Be interesting to see how it happened .

Last edited:

lantraxco

Torch.... hard to tell from just those pictures, but it looks like the main boom section has a twist in 'er too. Scrap the boom and part the rest. :crying