• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fixing 1845c rim

phil314

Occupation
Instigator of Choas
I loaned my machine to a friend many years ago. He had a wheel come loose and it bounced around on the lugs and ovaled out all the lug holes. I've been meaning to get it fixed for years. Well I finally decided just to fix it myself. Here's a pic from the backside of the holes. Forgot to take one from the front, it looked way worse.
20190607_133336.jpg

After talking to a real machinist. I made a plan - weld up the old holes and drill new ones. Did that about a week ago.
20190608_155906.jpg 20190608_162821.jpg

phil314

Occupation
Instigator of Choas
Then this weekend, I set about making some holes. I set the DRO up with an 8x8 bolt hole pattern. Spot drilled pilot holes and double check that everything was aligned. Then came back with a 1/2 & 3/4 drills. And finished off the holes with a 90 degree chamfer. Finally bead blasted to get it ready for some paint. Turned out awesome and fits on the machine perfect.
20190622_172927.jpg 20190629_140826.jpg 20190629_150142.jpg

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
The thing I'm not personally keen on regarding the repair/reinforcing ring is that it all depends on good quality welding for an acceptable end result. Not too many people who don't work as a welder for a living have that level of welding skills. Welding on wheel rims always gets me twitchy, but simply filling in the holes and re-drilling offset between the previous hole pattern is a procedure that has much more chance of a successful long-term result without inducing the possibility of more cracking IMHO.

Last edited:

phil314

Occupation
Instigator of Choas
It is a nice job. unfortunately, for me, I don't have the equipment, or time to do all that work, when a $31.50 part is available...

https://www.shoupparts.com/RR8800-8-Bolt-Reinforcement-Ring

To each his own, however, and the job does look better than any I have done, by adding the ring!;)

Yeah, rings are definitely an option. Had a few people also tell me just to buy a new rim too.

In this case I was really trying to restore the rim. These square center case rims are kind of rare and it's part of the original set. Local shop wanted $400 to do the repair. So I figured it was more than worth some of my time to get what I wanted. Plus I had the equipment. I just got the vert mill last fall and this was my first real project with it. It was about learning a bunch of new stuff as much as fixing the rim. The DRO does bolt hole patterns and made the job fairly easy. I think I have a total of 6 hrs into this (if you don't count all the youtube videos I watched), but I spend a lot of time double checking everything.