• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

First Job of the Season

D11RCD

COPPA Member
Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
Will it outperform a conventional grader?
Really, really cool!

stretch

Occupation
gopher
Will it outperform a conventional grader?
Really, really cool!

Let's find out this weekend...it was only working alone that day, but another thing...we don't have another grader that size. :eek: Guess I'll have to try it against the 160H.

Thats what I would love to know. What about asking the grader guys... seems that it could work well

It's worked well so far, ditches and slopes pretty good too. :drinkup

Not sure what's going to come outta Stretch's Garage next, but I'll think of something. Maybe something with the 777E? :beatsme

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
Sorry 'bout the repeat post; don't know what I was doing!:beatsme

What I was thinking, start a new thread in the graders section, and ask the regulars there what they think of it. What do you think?

stretch

Occupation
gopher
Anyway...I did that...they don't think it's going to be a big seller. :laugh:beatsme Maybe I'll convert it into a sheepsfoot roller?

stretch

Occupation
gopher
I went and "played" in my friend's pit today with a few of my machines, almost bought a 345 w/front shovel but he wouldn't budge on any offer I had on it. :bash

Was looking at buying some older Cat equipment, namely a 14 or 16 grader and a DW-20 w/pan in this one...does this seem like a good deal? http://cgi.ebay.com/UMEX-PLASTIC-HO...14&_trkparms=72:1417|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

On edit...they really loved the FrankenGrader. :notworthy

:usa

WabcoMan

Occupation
Heavy equipment parts manager
Hi Stretch,

That Roco/Umex DW20 is actually a Cat 630A with No.482 scraper.
Its a good model but could use a bit of extra detail (the air cleaners for a start).
The original Roco model came with a dolly so you could use the scraper as a pull pan and the tractor unit to tow a roller.
I you can get them without having to commit a human sacrifice you're doin OK !
The motor grader I think is meant to represent a No.12.
Its a nice model.
There is also a Spanish company who used to market 1:87 stuff and they produced a very nice Cat 619C scraper. (no moving parts though)

stretch

Occupation
gopher
We're just looking at getting more dozers and scrapers for the fleet so we can bid cheaper on large jobs. Looking good so far, 2 days to go and only 1 bid. :cool:

Might look into a few excavators too.

And thanks WabcoMan, guess I need to study my models a bit more. :notworthy

stretch

Occupation
gopher
Hey Bellboy...

...we hijacked one of your machines for our new job!:p

But serisouly, I went to the dealer today looking for the 974 and an IH 175 track loader. No loaders in stock, had a 3-set of the 974 and 580 loader and a Volvo A40D truck so I got that, and a nice little two-tone blue Mack R dump too. I wanted to get a few jobs in before we go to winter mode, so here they are, working with the 3-way crusher (only 2 products for here) and EC240 on a job making rock for the Forest Service. We'll put in the road using up the rock next week. :)

-Overview, new A40D loaded and pulling away.
-The crusher, 580, and old A40D.
-Different view, really shows the kind of terrain we have to work with. Trust me, noone but me would take the 974 through that tight of a squeeze.
-240 knockin' the rock in, with the R standing by to take a few of the larger chunks to stockpile for retaining walls.
-View from the top.

And we ended up taking the FrankenGrader apart, the 16H is back on duty and the 627 cab/engine is back in the shop for a new project...:cool2

Attachments

• myprojects 015.jpg
    myprojects 015.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 288
  • myprojects 016.jpg
    myprojects 016.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 284
  • myprojects 017.jpg
    myprojects 017.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 283
  • myprojects 018.jpg
    myprojects 018.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 284
  • myprojects 019.jpg
    myprojects 019.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 285

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
Really cool job your doing! Right now it is raining here, so no chance for me! Pity you chose the wrong set of words to start your post!:D

stretch

Occupation
gopher
It rained the next day, and the road that the rock is destined for is on the side of a mountain...so I'm not sure how long it'll be till I can get some action up there. I will assure pics of this precarious job eventually.

stretch

Occupation
gopher
I will assure pics of this precarious job eventually.

Ok so I lied...it's been too cold up there to work so we've been prepping the trucks, graders, and loaders for winter...and we're supposed to get half a foot tomorrow. :bouncegri

That road job will have to wait till spring, and we're now bidding on a bunch of projects for next year (including a reservoir, so now I can justify building up the pan fleet). Not to mention we have to relocate/rebuild our sand and gravel plant again, since someone doesn't want us in the aggregate business. :cussing

stretch

Occupation
gopher
I'll be honest...I spent all summer playing with the real machines and not my toys. :rolleyes: However, I've been detailing, painting, and signing a lot of them so eventually I'll have to get soem pics of what I've been doing.