• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

First hose replacement adventure (JD 310SE)

Nick G

Occupation
Former operator, farmer
Well I got a little crazy and banged into a branch. Got to replace my bucket cylinder hose and the two extendahoe curl hoses at the top of the dipper. My closest JD Const Equipment dealer is an hour+ away. Thankfully I was able to take them to the local JD farm equipment dealer to get some hoses made. They did a great job. The hoses are in tough shape and probably original. I'm sure I won't be done replacing hoses :) While I had the leaking bucket hose off, I saw the two small extendahoe hoses were in tough shape so I did those too. HOLY CRAP some of those hose ends are $40 ea. $360 into three hoses. Gotta watch out for those branches while wrangling rocks in the woods! I was trying to figure out how they "size" those flat faced o-ring ends. The JD guy said I had an 2-8s, 2-10's and 2-12's. I still don't know how to "measure" them. Apparently they have their own tread size too.

Have a great weekend guys.

edgephoto

I found a place local. He makes all kinds of hoses. Fire hoses and some stuff 6” or bigger.

he made 7 hoses for my Cat this week. 3 of them were -10 and 5 feet long. The others were 3 feet long and -8 hose. $190 for all.

mitch504

Yep, dealer prices on hoses can be crazy, and of course, Deere, Cat, Kommie, etc. don't make hoses, they just sell them.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Nick G, It is amazing how easy it is to mess up a machine while intently working in the woods...I bent the step on my tractor while digging a stump. I guess I hit another stump (machine slid into it) while being intent on digging out the one I was working on. These machines are so powerful they can wreck themselves with one little mistake.

Anyhow, I just wanted to warn you about cleaning out the inside of the new hoses prior to installing. When they are cut the rubber and metal chips wind up inside. If not cleaned, these contaminates go into your hydraulic system.

Reactions: DB2

Nick G

Occupation
Former operator, farmer
I found a place local. He makes all kinds of hoses. Fire hoses and some stuff 6” or bigger.

he made 7 hoses for my Cat this week. 3 of them were -10 and 5 feet long. The others were 3 feet long and -8 hose. $190 for all.
I need to find a "hose place" to get away from the stealership :)

Nick G

Occupation
Former operator, farmer
Nick G, It is amazing how easy it is to mess up a machine while intently working in the woods...I bent the step on my tractor while digging a stump. I guess I hit another stump (machine slid into it) while being intent on digging out the one I was working on. These machines are so powerful they can wreck themselves with one little mistake.

Anyhow, I just wanted to warn you about cleaning out the inside of the new hoses prior to installing. When they are cut the rubber and metal chips wind up inside. If not cleaned, these contaminates go into your hydraulic system.
Thanks for the tip! Now I wish I'd have blown them out or something before I installed :( Next time!

edgephoto

I need to find a "hose place" to get away from the stealership :)

A dealer is going to use factory parts and tooling. This stuff is not free or cheap. I would not say they ripped you off but more like aftermarket is more cost effective.

Ask around, I am sure there are places that make them up for any brand.

I am thinking of starting my own side business making hoses for hydraulics only. No cylinder repairs or anything like that. I figure it is a decent business. No retail store front needed, no regular hours needed and a pretty low investment in tools and inventory. Just call or text me and I will open the shop and make the hose for you. Snow plow guys always need hoses and if you are available "on call" that is what they need.

I am in the country and the local hydraulic shop closed last year. The owner got old and died. His kids had no interest in keeping it going. They sold the contents at auction and the building was sold to a local pawn/junk/consignment shop.

Nick G

Occupation
Former operator, farmer
A dealer is going to use factory parts and tooling. This stuff is not free or cheap. I would not say they ripped you off but more like aftermarket is more cost effective.

Ask around, I am sure there are places that make them up for any brand.

I am thinking of starting my own side business making hoses for hydraulics only. No cylinder repairs or anything like that. I figure it is a decent business. No retail store front needed, no regular hours needed and a pretty low investment in tools and inventory. Just call or text me and I will open the shop and make the hose for you. Snow plow guys always need hoses and if you are available "on call" that is what they need.

I am in the country and the local hydraulic shop closed last year. The owner got old and died. His kids had no interest in keeping it going. They sold the contents at auction and the building was sold to a local pawn/junk/consignment shop.
I'm in the country too! When I saw the inventory of fittings at JD and the huge rolls of hose, I guess I saw $$$ overhead. Watching him make the hoses, it sure didn't seem like a lot of expertise was required. After watching the first one made, I'm pretty sure I could have made the next two.
Good luck with the new business venture!

Ct Farmer

I’ve been making my own hoses for several years now and thought about it as a side thing also but the liability issue scares me. Get a -20 6-wire at 5000psi let go and someone’s gonna get hurt.

That and the huge investment in inventory beyond what I already have is just too much.

Did get my machine and a lot of hose and fittings surplus at a very good price. No way it is affordable if buying new equipment just to do your own unless you use a lot. With the machine, different hoses, fittings and adopters needed I can imagine an easy $20k minimum investment. Likely much more. I just paid $25 a foot for -20 100R15 . Even run of the mill 2-wire 100R2 is around 3.50 in -8.

There is a learning curve to making hoses. Proper cutting, insertion, crimp diameter, and cleaning. Wrecked a $50, -16 long reach 90 a few weeks ago because I was in a hurry and brought the pusher down on the fitting.

When this virus crap goes away I’ll show you my setup if you want. Looks like you are about 15 minutes away.

aighead

@Nick G look for Parker stores, it sounds like prices may be comparable, but maybe not and they may be more handy. I blew a hose and was suggested to try one a bit up the road. When I looked them up there are like 5 in the area. I don't know if they all will make custom metal lines and bends but one of them nearbyish did.

Fred from MO

Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for the tip! Now I wish I'd have blown them out or something before I installed :( Next time!
A buddy of mine uses gasoline in a sprayer/atomizer. Gas cleans out the inside of the hoses good. No smoking though while doing this!!!

Fred from MO

Occupation
Engineer
A buddy of mine uses gasoline in a sprayer/atomizer. Gas cleans out the inside of the hoses good. No smoking though while doing this!!!
Also my backhoe friend gets his made at the local oreillys auto parts store, he said he uses his machine until the hose blows, then goes into town and gets them made there. I don't know if you have a auto parts store nearby but you might ask them. Parker does a good job, I have used them for other things. I would think mother deere would be the highest priced ones out there based on other things???

Ct Farmer

@Nick G look for Parker stores, it sounds like prices may be comparable, but maybe not and they may be more handy. I blew a hose and was suggested to try one a bit up the road. When I looked them up there are like 5 in the area. I don't know if they all will make custom metal lines and bends but one of them nearbyish did.

Our local Parker store is convenient but very pricey. I use them for an odd end or adapter I need in a pinch and can’t wait for mail order. The thing that winds me up is that you would expect for the much higher price top quality but many things are the same imported parts with way higher prices.

Mr580backhoe!

In my area it seems every auto part store or local garage can make hydraulic hoses. We also have a gentleman that only does hydraulic hoses and hydraulic related items. Hes got a 40x60 shop with every hose and fitting you can think of and if he doesn’t have it it’s usually there next day. His prices are reasonable as well. I think hes a parker supplyer too. He’s about 20 minutes from where i live wich is nice

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
I have been reading this thread and figured I would throw this out there...You can buy hose ends you can install that do not require a press. These ends are called reusable and are threaded on. I have installed many of these. At one time my employer specified these fittings in the bid so that they were easily changeable on the road. These fittings are a bit more in price, but if the hose blows, you can transfer them to the new hose. You would also If you have a metal chop saw, this will cut the hose. It is not a good idea to cut the hose by hand, because it is important for the hose to be square cut, but the chop saw does a nice job at it.

Below is a link to one place that sells them...of course you would have to find the correct style of fitting (i.e. jic, flat face o-ring, etc.)

https://www.discounthydraulichose.com/field-attachable-reusable-hose-fittings.html