• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Financing a 2017 Yarder for $1.2M?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
No, they do not run company logging crews anymore. As a matter of fact the one harvest manager that was 100% for this to happen was the one who was head of company crews when they had them.

The way I explained it to him in our meeting was you take a highway contractor, if they have a project they get generally 25% of the contract price up front and then construction draws as they go. Same as a home builder, etc.

Loggers are the only ones that are dumb enough to do the work first and front all of the cost waiting for it to trickle in afterwards.

I told them that I wasn't going to operate that way anymore. I'm going to operate as a contractor on any large scale project would.

We do not get any money upfront in the commercial world. Billing is done every month on the 20th or 25th then wait 30 days at the earliest for a check. Sometimes it gets drug out to 45-60 days. Industrial construction can go 90-120 days.

Worst situation is starting a job at the end of the month then bill next month and wait for 30 days if you are lucky. So 60 days out on pay in that situation.

Retention of 5-10% is held on each pay request to be paid at the end - eventually. We are waiting on retention on a school project that was final'd out and occupied in November of last year.

Lumber prices being where they are is the reason the wife and I getting ready to start our house.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
We do not get any money upfront in the commercial world. Billing is done every month on the 20th or 25th then wait 30 days at the earliest for a check. Sometimes it gets drug out to 45-60 days. Industrial construction can go 90-120 days.

Worst situation is starting a job at the end of the month then bill next month and wait for 30 days if you are lucky. So 60 days out on pay in that situation.

Retention of 5-10% is held on each pay request to be paid at the end - eventually. We are waiting on retention on a school project that was final'd out and occupied in November of last year.

Lumber prices being where they are is the reason the wife and I getting ready to start our house.
That's much different than the construction world up here. If you're doing a government project it's just as I stated as we have done many of them when I was partners in CEI. (PRE-2008)

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
A guy I met was working on building a large medical facility and slipped net 15 on regular billing into his contract. They signed it. When the money started coming due, they were not real happy to notice that. In fact they had no ability to pay so quickly. He allowed them to pay net 30 but made sure they knew they had to stay on top of it. No 60 day billing on that job.

I doubt any timber company would let something like that get past them.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
A guy I met was working on building a large medical facility and slipped net 15 on regular billing into his contract. They signed it. When the money started coming due, they were not real happy to notice that. In fact they had no ability to pay so quickly. He allowed them to pay net 30 but made sure they knew they had to stay on top of it. No 60 day billing on that job.

I doubt any timber company would let something like that get past them.
We get paid weekly from some companies and twice monthly from the others.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
If somebody's going to do the net 30 after 30 billing on a contract they're going to be paying plus 12% or I won't do it.

crane operator

Loggers are the only ones that are dumb enough to do the work first and front all of the cost waiting for it to trickle in afterwards.
We get paid weekly from some companies and twice monthly from the others.
I always do the work first before I get paid anything. The big guys are the worst about paying, mostly 60 days and you aren't getting any interest $ from them.

Getting paid weekly sounds like you have it pretty good.

Welder Dave

A friend of mine had to agressively ask to get paid after already waiting over 90 days working for one of the oilfield drilling contractors.
I know some gov't. contracts have progress payments if they're satisfied the work is progressing at the right pace.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
Yes my margin is better than 3%. It has to be or we could not stay in business with the amount of material we have to buy.

3%? Isn't that like grocery store and LTL freight cutthroat margin territory?

AzIron

In emergency repair work busted water mains collapsed sewers stuff like that it can take 5 months to get paid but you know that going in and charge accordingly

Seems like a good move on the timber company are they taking interest against financing the machine

Last edited:

MG84

3%? Isn't that like grocery store and LTL freight cutthroat margin territory?
Thats what i was thinking, I’d hope it’s many times that but IDK, never been in commercial or heavy construction, sounds like I don’t want to be lol. I realize all the numbers are a LOT bigger, and at the end of the day that means more profit, but sometimes it also just ends up moving around big numbers for the same money.