• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Final drive question....Again! Komatsu PC30-5

Effinay

Occupation
Getting organized with my own small business
Well, I salvaged all the good parts between the two HY-DASH drives that I had, so I could assemble one that works. After careful cleaning and inspection, assembly and installation, it seems to move forward/reverse smoothly and quietly. I'm thinking, I'll put the track back on and see what happens. Wrestled the thing in place, tightened the grease fitting and pumped it up till I had the recommended clearance from the bottom roller. Drove it around easy like to get it back to the shop. Closer to the tools and easier to work on. Changed all the filters, topped off all the liquids and everything is good. That was until today...As I was moving about grading some fill, I happened to notice the recently re-installed track looked a little loose. Sure enough it was and added a few more pumps to readjust, then back to work. After an hour or so, I'm hearing sounds from the drive I don't like and get out to inspect. Nothing obvious or remarkable until I put my hand on the casing. Expected it to be a little warm as I'd been running it for a couple hours. Not just warm, but borderline hot. Checked the other side for comparison. Just warm. Crawled underneath to feel the pumps, warm again. Could I have overtightened my track? Would that create an overheating condition? I'm going to drain the oil in the morning to see if theres any bits that come out. I could use some help with this as I don't want to destroy another final drive. Thanks for looking.

DK88

Occupation
Field service tech.
Possible brake dragging causing final to get hot?

Effinay

Occupation
Getting organized with my own small business
Thanks DK. Good thought, but there's no braking system on this machine. The only thing that might act like a brake would be the backfill blade. Besides this thing's top speed is about 2 miles per hour.