• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Final Drive Leak 977L

RustedHeroes

Gentlemen!

It's been a long time... To be honest I haven't been on here much the last while, somehow got the mind to try my hand at farming and thats been an all consuming endeavour. Definitely been missing the old iron. I fired up the 977 over the weekend as I figured it was time to tackle the lift cylinders (not much else to be doing when its -30 C) and wow is it just me or is there a special smell to that old equipment!? It's almost like a mixture of diesel fumes and warm earth... Hard to explain but I sure did miss it..

Anyway much to my disapointment I found a my outer duocone seal to be leaking on my left hand final drive (seepics). I'll give a little back story.. So about two years ago I decided to take the plunge and put new rails on the old girl, at that time I did check to see if there was play when I put a bar on the sprocket when I pried on either side. Right side was tight left side had just a barely noticeable amount. While I had the tracks off I decided to tighten up the bearing preload, went through the procedure with no issue and at that time there were no leaks whatsoever. Fast forward a couple years and maybe 20 hours of seat time I seem to have developed a leak. At this point the machine has been sitting for six months with no leaks, then over the weekend I noticed the leak. Looks to be only about 3 to 4 drops over the span of twelve hours. I checked it again with a bar and there is zero movement on the sprocket.

Curious as to how I should proceed? Oil level/condition looks good nothing else wrong that I can see.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Take care and stay warm..

P.S. has anyone seen Tc back here yet? Sure do miss his verbs.

Leak 1.jpg Leak 2.jpg leak 3.jpg