• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fiat Allis fl10B

Bob Cowdery

Occupation
SAVING OLE YELLOW/ORANGE IRON
The usual questions.
Parts availability, dependability.
Any bad traits.

Thanks Bob

Welder Dave

Not popular on here so not a lot of advice on them. I think parts availability might be an issue. Hopefully someone that knows them will come along.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Son in law ordered a water pump today for one I found in Italy a few months ago. Just a bit over $1600.00 plus $296.00 freight is taking the owner all the way. Of course then there is the labor the dealership will charge for the installation and reassembly of the tractor which is currently torn down for access.

Probably should have repowered the tractor with a Cummins 4BT from the start as those Fiat engines are very expensive to keep in operation outside of Europe.

Vetech63

It's a decent machine if in good shape. The problem is you will spend more time looking for parts than actually operating it.

1693TA

Occupation
It's a decent machine if in good shape. The problem is you will spend more time looking for parts than actually operating it.
That is a very good assumption. I worked at the Allis plant twice in 1976, (job training) during high school, and there were several on the grounds then. Very good power to weight ratio but different not being built completely there, (finish assembly only) as European built.

If in good condition otherwise, very worthy of a repower.

1693TA

Occupation
This is the FL-10B series the water pump has been ordered for:

IMG_5966(1).jpg

Buddy

Occupation
Equipment mechanic (Retired)
I have one here if you want another.

Attachments

• FL-10B.jpg
    FL-10B.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 7

1693TA

Occupation
The only lacking thing about those machines is the parts support. Repowered to Cummins and I'd wager they could be worked routinely as most everything else on them was pretty robust best I remember.

Yours looks as if it's done a few shifts in it's time.

Buddy

Occupation
Equipment mechanic (Retired)
It was removed from a vacant lot and sent here to see if I could get it running. I have a starter headed this way now. It turns out ok, I'll run it through the shop and make an attempt to sell it per its condition and my time.

1693TA

Occupation
I remember them back in 1976 when I was job training at the AC plant. Several of the type came in and were staged in an area of the grounds. I always looked at all the new tractors, but not being built there, (Springfield, IL) and only the lift arms and such installed at the plant, they got little attention till shipment. I drove a lot of new tractors from the staging area to the shipping lot, but don't remember operating one of these.

1693TA

Occupation
I asked my son in law about the one I posted photos of and he tells me the farmer that owns the machine still uses it regularly in his feed lot for cleaning. He is looking to replace the tractor with a large frame CTL in the future however citing lack of parts availability. This water pump being the case in point.

Also turns out one of his sons was going to rebuild the leaking pump and didn't have all the bolts removed from the pump casting when he applied a crowbar thinking a gasket was stuck. The rest is history.

orangeman

Fiat Allis formed a distribution center for parts in Carrolstream Illinois. Due to Fiat's anemic marketing, the Fiat Allis branded machines were not long for sales and service in this country. If memory serves Fiat Allis North America was done by early 1993. Sad to see the old Allis Crawler - Loader Dozer line gone. Prior to Fiat -. Allis was once one of the big three that built the U.S. Interstate System, Airports and Hydro Electric facilities along with Caterpillar and International.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Not only in the States either, Allis Chalmers had a big presence in Australia and New Zealand. Probably bigger than International Harvester at on time. IMHO the biggest mistake Allis Chalmers made was getting involved with Fiat.