• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

fiat allis 745-C

2wnged

My brother recently bought a late 70s model 745-C with a 4yd bucket for use on the farm. It was purchased because my brother and dad are expanding and converting to pit silos. So far we have pretty much got the 2 silos done, but we still have the hole for the manure pit to go, wish it still had the rippers that were once welded in the bucket. Anyway, I found this site while looking for information about the loader. I am kind of hoping some of you guys can point out some things we should look out for and maybe answer a question or two. First question, my dad has been told it is bad to spin the wheels on these things, is that really true mechanically wise or is it just to save on wear on tires. The second question is more difficult. How does one go about diagnosing a tranny problem? The loader does not have a lot of go to it. It slows down going up hill and most days will not push a large pile in front of the bucket. And it usually gets worse as the tranny temp climbs towards 220F. Also if the loader has not been run for a while it needs to sit and idle for 2-3 min before shifting to forward or reverse will do anything.

tycoonmike

745 c

I have the same loader. Love it. it has so much power and I thought bullet proof. recently I am having the exact problems you are with a cold and warm characteristics. I Thought it would be the transmission cut out behind the seat so I've ordered seals for it. I'll watch the forum and wait for someone smarter than me to respond and get the right answer.

dirthog

Occupation
heavy equipment mechanic
In the bottom of the transmission case there should be a plate with I believe 6 bolts which will have a screen behind it drain the oil and pull that screen out and see how much garbage is in it. That will tell a lot.

JNewton

any updates- I have a 745c strong forward, reverse will not drive except on a rare occasion. Trans pressure drops to nothing in reverse most times.

Vetech63

I had a customer that had an old 645 FA loader but dam that has been forever ago. I don't remember what transmission it had, im wanting to say it was a Clark. If yours is, at some clutch packs on the case is a removable flange. There is a clutch shaft seal behind that flange that used to get blown out. Worth a check if I am remembering right. The seal rings for forward and reverse clutches are in the front cover which would require removal of that cover. It would be worth the time to check the screen in the drop box of your transmission as said above. I believe the control valve on the transmission also has test ports for pressure checking.

JNewton

I had a customer that had an old 645 FA loader but dam that has been forever ago. I don't remember what transmission it had, im wanting to say it was a Clark. If yours is, at some clutch packs on the case is a removable flange. There is a clutch shaft seal behind that flange that used to get blown out. Worth a check if I am remembering right. The seal rings for forward and reverse clutches are in the front cover which would require removal of that cover. It would be worth the time to check the screen in the drop box of your transmission as said above. I believe the control valve on the transmission also has test ports for pressure checking.

thanks for your input, I believe the transmission is an Allison TT-4420-1. I have checked the screen on the suction tube in the bottom of the transmission, it did have some fine material on it and I cleaned it and refilled the transmission with still no reverse. I was leaning towards something in the valve body or a clutch seal. I just got a service manual today and will read it to see if there are instructions for testing the pressures at the valve body. Thanks again for any and all help.

Joe Walters

Occupation
sales/service
JNewton my shop has some of the best Allison guys in the business, get ahold of me and we can get you straightened out.

We can also do Clark/ZF and PTs

816-408-7100