• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fiat Allis 14C or not.

.RC.

I may look at a 14C for sale. Looks to be a 7 roller track frame by the blurry photo I have Owner says it has a leaking final drive. I assume they are as involved and potentially as expensive as any other style of machine that uses the antiquated dead axle design (as opposed to planetary design). As in the sprocket has to be pulled off and pressed back on, along with the inherent issues that can arise with that design. Worn splines, loose dead axles and very expensive gears.

What sort of seal design did fiat allis use? Duo cone style?

Given the indicated price is not much less then you would pay for a D6D, would I be better off waiting for one of them? Greater parts availability to start with. Not that there seem to be as many D6D's come onto the market these days compared to twenty years ago.

Queenslander

Sadly, most of your assumptions are spot on RC.
They do have the dead axle final drive design with all it’s inherent problems, it does have duo cone seals and needs a big puller to pop the sprockets off.
We bought our 14C 26 years ago for around half the price of a D6D at the time.
It’s been a great property tractor, 150hp naturally aspirated...about 20 tonnes with rippers, canopy and tree pusher and will easily match, if not slightly better, a D6D performance wise.
Unlike our US friends, we have most parts, including undercarriage, readily available here but at prices probably dearer than genuine Cat.
We’ve since bought a D6R to handle the big hour work we have planned but will never part with the 14.. it’s a great tractor to operate and part of the family now.

.RC.

OK Thanks, I would like an air con cab, so might wait around for something else. A D6E would be nice. :) Really do not want anything with electronics.