• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fiat-Allis 14 c Dozer Question

DAVEH

I am new to the heavy equipment business. I recently purchased a Fiat-Allis 14 C built somewhere in late 70's or early 80's. A transmission line came loose and I have no idea of the fluid that goes back in it. Someone said Delo 400 30 weight motor oil. Being only familiar with autos, I have doubts about putting motor oil in a transmission.

wrenchbender

First welcome to HEF DAVEH, now as for the trans fluid some use Trac Tran others use Dextron II and afew around here use motor oil. This evening I'll look in the manual I have it's for a 14 E loader but should be the same.

wrenchbender

I am new to the heavy equipment business. I recently purchased a Fiat-Allis 14 C built somewhere in late 70's or early 80's. A transmission line came loose and I have no idea of the fluid that goes back in it. Someone said Delo 400 30 weight motor oil. Being only familiar with autos, I have doubts about putting motor oil in a transmission.

The manual I have says "Engine oil TO-2 Qualified API service CD SAE 10W viscosity. or an acceptable replacement Trans fluid type C-3 meeting TO-2 specs." so Fiat starts them off on engine oil.

Wulf

I would be sure to follow wrenchbenders's advice to the letter using monograde oil.

On some trannies, if you use multigrade engine oils the additives (that change the viscosity with temperature) can damage the clutch friction material.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF DAVEH! :drinkup

DAVEH

Thanks Wrenchbender! I appreciate the advice from someone who is in the know! I was somewhat skeptical about putting motor oil in a transmission. Again, thanks for clearing this up!

pushcat

We run 30 wt. in all our dozer transmissions. We have a 14C but don't use it much any more. That thing was an animal. The D6H was hard pressed to keep ahead of it back in the day.

wrenchbender

Thanks Wrenchbender! I appreciate the advice from someone who is in the know! I was somewhat skeptical about putting motor oil in a transmission. Again, thanks for clearing this up!

You're welcome, there are a lot of people more qualified than myself here to answer questions of this nature. This time I just beat'em to the draw.

DAVEH

Thanks! I crawled under it today and took the plug out and got a sample. And yes, it was motor oil. I did notice under the left rear a series of numbers and a date of 2/85, Just under this number was what appeared to be a serial number starting with 7 and included approx 8-9 digits. I suppose that would be the year model and serial numbers.

I then pulled the dip stick and compared the oil. The motor oil is 30 wt and appeared to have a higher viscosity than the transmission oil.

I appreciate all the input.

Thanks

wrenchbender

DAVEH, does this look like your Dozer? This one belongs to one of my customers.

Attachments

• 14 C ready.jpg
    14 C ready.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 7,335

rockbottomllc

On a similar note, just wondering if any body has had trouble with transmission oil going to the engine. Had local dealer replace rear main seal on motor, torque converter seal, transmission seal, and it's still doing it. Dealer is now out of business and just wondering where to go next?

akpilot

we have a 14c dozer , we can push dirt in 1st gear for about 30 minutes then machine stops ,, then go to 2nd gear and keep on pushing for about 45 minutes then it slips in that gear ,,, ????? anyone got an answer as to whats going on ,, akpilot chester .

Queenslander

akpilot,
Firstly,can I suggest that you re post your message on the thread below where it might alert others more qualified than me?

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/showthread.php?23974-Fiat-Allis-14C-transmission-oil-pressure-regulator

Secondly, I assume you have checked/ cleaned tc and trans screens?
Does the drive shaft continue to spin when the tractor stalls?
What about 3rd and reverse speeds?
You probabably need to take some pressure readings to help isolate the problem, I can help with some figures if you don't have service manual.
Cheers, Greg

Last edited:

Iowan

Hi there, I am also new to the heavy equipment business and recently purchased a 1983 Fiat Allis 14C. It seems to be a decent little dozer so far anyway! I have a couple questions regarding undercarriage however. A guy I talked to said when he worked at the county maintence shed they usually converted the fiats to cat or cat style undercarriage... How can I tell what mine has and whats the advantage using cat undercarriage?

d9gdon

Iowan,
I suspect the county would convert them cause they had a discount with the Cat dealer on their UC's or simply cause they were easier to get from their Cat dealer. Maybe the county guys felt that they got a lot more wear out of them instead of Fiat. Maybe had another dozer about the same size which was Cat and didn't want to stock two different replacement parts.

If yours has Cat UC, the registered Cat name will be stamped or cast into the individual pieces. Look on the side of the links to see.

Iowan

Thanks for the info d9gdon, I will have too check it out and see I haven't noticed any cat logo so I would say its not been converted.

lpnt65

Occupation
Retired
akpilot,
we hada f/a10c with same problem was new out of dealers it was working in goat country So steep it would run out of drive , that was because country was so steep we thought it was that steepness our problem
so step you had to hold your cup in your hand as there no level ground!!!!! but seriously when we were hauling timber on the flats it just did same as yours is doing to you. WEll i tell you thay put guages here and there they changed grade of oil, ,we also had 550 Wabco grader that after an overhaul just as soon as it got the oil hot it slow rite down no push hopeless, we found in both case the incorrect hoses had beeen fitted and when the heat got up th e hoses juts sucked themselves together blocking the flow , SO i am not saying this is your problem but check the hoses out first .

Queenslander

How can I tell what mine has and whats the advantage using cat undercarriage?

Iowan,
I can't think of any reason to convert to CAT undercarriage other than availability.
Here in Aust., we have no problems sourcing undercarriage components from ITM, maybe Berco and probably some others as well.
I've had no trouble replacing rollers, pin & bushes and sprocket segments.
As far as determining which you have, I think you would have to get drawings of each and take some measurements.
The Cat equivalent would have to be a D6D.
Cheers, Greg

Last edited:

Iowan

I'm guessing they must of had mostly Cat equipment and it was just alot easier for them to get. He claimed they had really good luck with the 14 C they had, but i get different views from everybody I talk too! I just hope it lasts me a year or two beings its my 1st dozer and I really don't have the funds to deal with a transmission or torque going bad yet!! I've put over 20 hours on it clearing a tree farm and so far so good!