• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fiat Allis 10C with transmission oil transferring to the backend

Queenslander

I think if I was going to do the test that you mentioned, I’ld do it before disturbing anything else.
If the sc pump is still pumping oil to the backend you should see it at the port that No.27 covers.
This is off a 14, but I assume that the 10 is similar.
9EFFFF29-8449-4817-96DA-8391B18B3EB7.jpeg

Dugandan

Hello Bravo-Harris, Queenslander and DMiller,
Looking at my machine and the manuals I have made a list which may help (1 page PDF attached). Also not sure if you have parts catalogue. I have it in PDF but can't send on this forum as it is too large. Let me know if you need it, there may be another way.

Attachments

• Fiat Allis 10-C Filters - Trans & SBC (27-7-19).pdf
    50.4 KB · Views: 29

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Got to digging thru some of my old Allis stuff. Rails on the 14 will be 7.484 pitch, Deere 750C Cat D5H 7NC or 8RC s/n prefix should also be these dimensions as a close enough match, the Deere LGP will be taller links(119mm) where standard rails were 110mm both 64mm bushing OD, 14 B&C will be 115mm height, 60mm bushing where any sprocket wear 14D could have 116mm height and 65mm bushing should be able to use the Deere rails.

If have access to South American suppliers the may still have access for the FA rails or supply from Italy or Korean sellers.

bravo-harris

Can you help to locate the other two screen filters on the torque converter and the two on the steering/brake/clutch circuit.These have never been cleaned.

bravo-harris

Looking at my machine and the manuals I have made a list which may help (1 page PDF attached). Also not sure if you have parts catalogue. I have it in PDF but can't send on this forum as it is too large. Let me know if you need it, there may be another way.
I have a parts manual.

bravo-harris

Got to digging thru some of my old Allis stuff. Rails on the 14 will be 7.484 pitch, Deere 750C Cat D5H 7NC or 8RC s/n prefix should also be these dimensions as a close enough match, the Deere LGP will be taller links(119mm) where standard rails were 110mm both 64mm bushing OD, 14 B&C will be 115mm height, 60mm bushing where any sprocket wear 14D could have 116mm height and 65mm bushing should be able to use the Deere rails.

If have access to South American suppliers the may still have access for the FA rails or supply from Italy or Korean sellers.
Got a quote from Italy and China.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Been over 25 years since under one of these. Some screens as IIRC remember appeared as Banjo style fittings for lines on the Trans case and torque housing. the 'Bolt' was removed from the line head and strainer attached at the end, similar to depicted fitting earlier post.

Queenslander

Dugandan’s list, in post 23, gives an excellent description of the appearance and location of all five filters.
The carrier that I posted the photo of is on the rear centre cover and holds the return filter.
Not related to your problem, but the tiny vent in that cover, No 29 and 30, is the only breather for the rear compartment.

bravo-harris

thanks for sending location info for screen/filters!

bravo-harris

Hi guys. We located and cleaned all 5 filters. None were that bad, the worst being the horizontal filter on the torque converter. We removed the scavenger pipe and used air pressure to ensure no blockage. We also removed the in and out transmission pipe going into the cooler and also applied air pressure to ensure no blockage. At the rear vertical filter, we noticed that the base of the oil bath container had a small machined hole about 1/16" which we bronzed to prevent oil escaping into back end. We ran the machine without armour plate for 2 hours and transmission oil continues to transfer to back end. We also replaced 2 missing O rings on the internal oil pipelines inside the back end. Please help.

Queenslander

I would be tempted to run it briefly without oil in the backend.
If oil still comes out of one of the lines where you replaced the o rings you will know that it is entering via the double pump.
The hole that you brazed up would be to allow the filter canister to drain when the machine is not running.
All the oil that passes through that filter ends up in the back end after lubricating the bevel gear, brakes and clutches.

bravo-harris

Hi guys. In doing our filter cleaning exercise, we pulled the large nut on top of the torque converter (between feet from operators seat) which is a hydraulic pressure relief valve and noticed that the shims were missing and not holding the pressure. In other words, the machine is running with the pressure relief valve open. Kindly send the diagram from the manual and how to set the right pressure release. Thanks in advance!

Dugandan

Hello Bravo-Harris,

I trust the attached 2 files will be a start.

The manuals have diagrams and references to both the "Transmission Clutch" and the "Torque Converter" models all mixed up. The correct diagrams and text (Torque Converter for you) are both section "b" in the attached. Section a in both cases refers to the "Transmission Clutch" model, so just ignore those sections.

Refer to Section b on Page 3.14 of the Service Specification Manual which shows three pressure adjustment washers, I think this is what you have found are missing???

Refer also to section b on Page 36 and 37 of the Service Manual Transmission which states briefly the way to vary the pressure.

I hope this is helpful.

Attachments

• Fiat Allis 10-C Torque Converter Pressure Regulating Valve Service Specifications Manual Extract.pdf
    638.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Fiat Allis 10-C Service Manual Transmission Torque Conv Press Reg Valve Bench Test.pdf
    876.2 KB · Views: 14

Dugandan

Hello Queenslander,
Wondering if you can help with a query.
Could you tell me what these disc things are on the attachment on post 22 please? Do they have a function? (I assume you have had a close-up look at them.) They look like a plug of some sort. On mine, all I can see on the outside is some cement type substance, apparently to seal the hole, but with a central hole, looks like a small allen key might go in there. I do not see two shiny metal discs as in the drawing/photo you posted. Thanks.

Attachments

• Fiat Allis 14-C Steering Brake and Clutch Return Oil Filter Carrier.jpeg
    Fiat Allis 14-C Steering Brake and Clutch Return Oil Filter Carrier.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 14

Queenslander

The photo I posted is from a 14, the same as your loader, and could be a little different from your dozer.
Iam certain that the discs are plugs from the casting/machining process.
When we installed a rebuilt converter and transmission, the only adjustment that we attended to was the transmission pressure regulating valve.