• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Felco Bedding Conveyyor

ZAXIS

Occupation
Mgr./Member of Rainwater Construction Company, LLC
I was wondering how many of you are familiar with the Felco Bedding Conveyor? I would like to equip an excavator with one, but I wasn't sure if they are worth the initial investment-are they that much more productive? Would anyone care to comment on the pros-vs-cons? Thank you, ZAXIS:usa

Lashlander

I used to work for Felton Construction whos owner also owns Felco Industries. We used them on a lot of their jobs. If you are on a tight job site they can be an invaluable tool. Most of Feltons jobs were pipe jobs on city streets where conditions were extremely tight. On a job we had in Portland Oregon we couldn't turn the hoe around for full city blocks. It was the only way to get bedding in the trench. However, the downfall to them is they tend to get in the way. Unless you have a dedicated trench machine on your job they can be a pain. Also they tend to hang pretty low. If your jobsite is muddy or soft they will drag around though the muck.
I would recommend one if your in tight job conditions but if your not I think your better off without one.
The first picture is on a 7 mile waterline we did in Glasgow Mt. It was between the railroad and a highway. It was to tight to get a loader up along the trench so it worked well. The second and third pic shows the job in Portland. You can see how tight it was.

Attachments

• bedding.jpg=1 (Small).jpg
    bedding.jpg=1 (Small).jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,466
  • bedding4.jpg-1 (Small).jpg
    bedding4.jpg-1 (Small).jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 925
  • Port8.jpg-1 (Medium).jpg
    Port8.jpg-1 (Medium).jpg
    60 KB · Views: 870

ZAXIS

Occupation
Dear lashlander, Thanks for sharing the old-school pics! Also thanks for the advise. Most of our work would allow for a bedding box - we also work all winter in the mud so a wider track excavator would be an obvious advantage if we were to invest in a bedding conveyor. Thanks again, ZAXIS

ZAXIS

Occupation
Back in the early 90's, Kenko Contractors out of Minnesota(I think) came to little old Jonesboro, Ar and laid a 48" VCT (clay) trunk line across most of the city limits. They had rented a 666(?) Koehring that was freakin huge and they had a shop made bedding box with a dual-wheel axle on one end that was also a monster. Those guys on several day laid 700+lf with that big boy.

Lashlander

This Hoe is a 1266. On the job in Glasgow we had a 14 yard bucket that Felco had narrowed the bottom to slope the trench walls. On the job in Portland it had a seven yarder on it. The Hoe was powered by 2 8-92 Detroits. If I remember right it weighed 300,000#.

Attachments

• Bedding2.jpg-1 (Small).jpg
    Bedding2.jpg-1 (Small).jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 1,797

ZAXIS

Occupation
This Hoe is a 1266. On the job in Glasgow we had a 14 yard bucket that Felco had narrowed the bottom to slope the trench walls. On the job in Portland it had a seven yarder on it. The Hoe was powered by 2 8-92 Detroits. If I remember right it weighed 300,000#.
WOW, AWESOME PICS! I COULD LOOK AT STUFF LIKE THAT ALL DAY-THANKS, ZAXIS

dayexco

The 1266 Koehring,

255,700 lbs.
2 - 12 cylinder engines
760 HP
30,800 lb counter weight
17' 10" minimum width
339,300 lbs of stick force
60' 10" of reach
Up to a 7 cy bucket

bobcat ron

Banned
Occupation
playing with the new 247 MTL
I think we need a thread here for those old Koehring's, there's one for the Poclains anyways.

Turbo21835

The 1266 Koehring,

255,700 lbs.
2 - 12 cylinder engines
760 HP
30,800 lb counter weight
17' 10" minimum width
60' 10" of reach
Up to a 7 cy bucket

So then you should carry 4 gallons of oil to the machine everyday? When i ran terex ts 14s i would take out two gallons, one for each 6cyl engine everyday

Lashlander

The 1266 Koehring,

255,700 lbs.
2 - 12 cylinder engines
760 HP
30,800 lb counter weight
17' 10" minimum width
60' 10" of reach
Up to a 7 cy bucket

Felton bought this machine brand new in 85 for a 96" sewer line that ran along the Duwamish river in Seattle. I won't argue about the weight of it because I never ran it across the scale. However I helped change oil on it a dozen times and it was powered by twin 8-92s with twin turbos. It had 3 buckets. A 5 yard, a seven yard, and the fourteen they narrowed down.
Thanks for the comments. Here's a couple more pictures from the job in Portland.

Attachments

• Port1 (Small).jpg
    Port1 (Small).jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 972
  • Port3 (Medium).jpg
    Port3 (Medium).jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 784