• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Farm dozer - JD 450J v Cat D5G

Redhorse

I'm looking for a dozer to use on my farm. Some drive/road building, service some overgrow skid trails in woods, clean out pond ...... I know I might be undersized for pond building but time is not so much an issue for me as cost.

So, I've got my eye on either a JD 450J or a Cat D5G both under 2000 hrs. and same price. As far as I know neither has a 6 way blade.

Opinions, other ideas welcome. In fact, is lack of a 6 way a deal breaker? (I'm in N Idaho).

Thanks

YEC1998

Occupation
owner operator
The JD 450J is the same size as the Cat D3. The D5G probably has something like 20 or 25 hp more than the Deere. I would prefer the D5G if the money is the same. I have A John Deere 650H and it is the same size as the D5G.

YEC1998

Occupation
owner operator
If you look at the D3, D4, and D5 machines the cab or ROPS are the same the engines are the same except for the power settings you would always be better off in my opinion with the D5 size over the smaller. The only difference is the blade, width and track size, and HP, the frame, cab are the same.

Redhorse

2007 Caterpillar D5G LGP Dozer - 1,600 hours - $18,500
2007 JOHN DEERE 450J LGP CRAWLER DOZER - 1,400 hours - $18,500

Hard to believe?

Hard to believe?

Very hard to believe but condition could dictate the price. We just bought an 06 450j with 3200 hrs for 30k

Brett

Redhorse

Pics look like good looking machines - not beat up at all. That's why my radar is up on this one.

Redhorse

Hey Brett - after looking at my current tax liability I most likely will pass on these. The guy actually lists about 5 or 6 machines (D3's and 5's) of similar hours/shape/price. If you're interested, I'll post the info. I think he said he's in Houston so not too far for you.

Hey Brett - after looking at my current tax liability I most likely will pass on these. The guy actually lists about 5 or 6 machines (D3's and 5's) of similar hours/shape/price. If you're interested, I'll post the info. I think he said he's in Houston so not too far for you.

If you pass please do pass the info along. I am north of Houston 1 hr. that's almost unbelievable prices

Brett

Redhorse

Welllll - I think it was a scam alright. The Ebay link is gone ...... FYI - here's the e-mail sequence he sent me: Tell me what you think.

1998 Komatsu D41E-6 dozer - 3,970 hours - $18,500
2004 Caterpillar D5G XL Dozer - 2,300 hours - $18,500
2004 KOMATSU D39EX-21 CRAWLER DOZER - 1,000 hours - $18,500
2005 CASE 750K SERIES 2 LT CRAWLER DOZER - 2,000 hours - $18,500
2005 CATERPILLAR D5G XL CRAWLER DOZER - 2,800 hours - $18,500
2006 Caterpillar D3G LGP Dozer - 1,000 hours - $18,500
2006 CATERPILLAR D3G XL CRAWLER DOZER - 1,200 hours - $18,500
2007 Caterpillar D3G LGP Dozer - 1,900 hours - $18,500
2008 CATERPILLAR D5K LGP Dozer - 1,350 hours - $40,000

Looking at either the JD or the 07 CAT D5 ------ how come they're marked down so much with less than 2000 hrs? Are these grey market machine? Can you give some history on them?

I'm a contractor and I own those dozers. We use it all so the hours are not that high.
The dozers are located in Houston, TX. I can deliver it with my personal trailer within US and Canada. I will take extra $500 for the shipping.

All dozers are like new, completely working, perfect running condition, with no hidden damages or accidents, it has always been used for easy working. It will come with all the necessary papers (bill of sale, user's manual, insurance etc). I am selling it because I want to buy land for my business and I must move fast on this opportunity.

I want the transaction to be made through eBay Business Equipment Purchase Protection Program. Let me explain how it works: We will use eBay as third party. First you will pay the payment to eBay and once eBay receives your payment, I will start the shipping. Please note that eBay will hold your payment until you confirm that you received the dozer and you are happy with it. After you make a decision, eBay will send the payment to me or they will fully refund you. If you are not 100% content with the dozer you are able to ship it back on my expense to get your money back. I am sure this will not happen. I will give you 3 days for inspection. It will be as if purchased locally.

I will send the photos in a new message.

Brett - if you're still interested and still want to investigate I can forward you the e-mail address he posted from.

Last edited:
It's one of those deals that's to good to be true. On the 450j it has a beard John deere sticker. They are from Alabama. I would venture to guess its a scam. He would ship it for $500 and if you don't like it then he will pay return haul? I don't buy it.

Brett

Redhorse

The $500 is what my local CAT dealership charges to deliver and pickup a dozer (and that's only a 40 mile trip, not 1500 miles like it would be delivering to Idaho!). I wondered if he was trying to ditch some equipment before he went to collection or something. Although I do hear things are hopping growth-wise down in Houston.

I did originally try contacting eBay RE: Business Equipment Purchase Protection Program as I'd never heard of it but good ole eBay just connected me to some generic explanation of "what to watch out for" page.

Sorry about getting everyone all excited (me included).

Last edited:

roddyo

Occupation
Manipulator of the Planet
Those pictures have been floating around for a couple of months now