• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

FAE/Loftness mulching head

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
Does anyone know the difference in the various mulching heads available for the ASV 100, i know of /fae,loftness,bradco what other brands are available and whar are rhe differences ie quality,longevity,maintenance, teeth cost, any info would be appreciated, thanks

mouse

Occupation
(wishfully) avoiding work as much as possible
dennis from cenaf (least i hope i got the company right) posts lots of stuff bout the various types. you will find lots of info over on tbn in the toolcat forum iirc.

to this outsider the principle difference seems to be in the construction of the teeth - some use a carbide tooth and some use a steel tooth you sharpen. i'm sure they have their different purposes, i get the impression your timber is a lot softer than the stuff we get here.

paging dennis !!

Noose

Occupation
O/O '98 378 Pete tandem dump ~~ '03 S185
There is mostly teeth differences. There are some tub differences too ie. thickness, widths, rakers in the back. Depending on the machine our using. You can't take a Rayco FAE/ Fecon head and put it on a S300, yeah it can lift it but once that drum starts spinning and you start bouncing around it'll be tippy as hell.
Some are belt driven, chain and direct. I like the belt best. What machine are you matching too?

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
Asv

looking at an ASV RC100 w/ loftness head on it, wasnt sure about the different head manufacturers, this one is belt driven, just looking for the pros and cons of whats available, thanks

Iron Horse

Check this machine out in the for sale section . It belongs to STROKER from Raleigh , NC . It's a 2005 RC100 with 390 hrs and a 2006 Loftness Carbide with 300hrs for $53,500 . He also has a trailer for sale . If i thought it would fit in my canoe i'd buy it myself .

Attachments

• asv013.jpg
    asv013.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 10,635

mouse

Occupation
(wishfully) avoiding work as much as possible
just wandered back from a machinery expo we have here named agquip where fae were present.

teeth life seems ok as long as you keep em out of the rocks. I think the italian rep said that they expect about 500 hours out of a decent operator but his english and my hearing were not a great match...

they also had a dedicated machine there, about 650k uad worth, that looked the bee's knees. it is going to a contractor at coffs harbour, i guess they'll be able to feed the greenies through it for compost.

John H

Occupation
Arborist, Equipment operator
We have tried just about all of them. FAE,Fecon,Loftness and a few others. Right now we are running 2 FAEs and 2 Fecons. One of the FAEs is painted yellow and says Rayco on it. Out of all the ones we have tried the Fecons hold up the best.The Fecons are bulit proof. The teeth on the fecons hold up a lot longer and we have a lot less trouble with them. Parts are a lot faster to get also. We had an FAE head in the shop for a mounth waiting for parts to come from Italy. The Loftness heads I wont even comment on.

Hope this helps.
John

Iron Horse

FAE mulchers are made in Italy by a company called CABE . I have 2 CABE flail mowers which are quite well made . If you search the CABE website you will see the mulchers FAE sell . AHWI in New Zealand make a good mulcher which is sold in the US as Fecon .

Attachments

• cabe mulcher.jpg
    cabe mulcher.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 10,531
Last edited:

deniscimafinc

I usually don't like to revive 2-months old threads, but even if southernman13 bought something since then, some other people might be interest in reading this.

There are many types of technologies being used for landclearing. I will let aside burning, chemicals spraying, roller-choppers, bulldozers and their derivative (like this vintage machine)

Speaking of mulching attachments with a rotating appartus (which are called by many names depending on where you reside: mulchers, grinders, shredders, brush cutters, brushcutters, mastication heads, and more...), there are two main concepts: the vertical shaft and the horizontal shaft.

The vertical shaft concept usually drive a horizontal disc. On the disc can be attached:
- free swiveling blades;
- or fixed blades or teeth;
- one could think of chains also, I don't know if that has been done or not.

A vertical shaft might not always have a disc, though. I'm thinking of a machine from Quadco which is spinning a simple plate, at each ends of which is a free-swiveling blade. Manufacturer of vertical-shaft machines often have different option available from the above (Slashbuster, Promac, Quadco, ...)

The horizontal shaft concept usually drive a rotor. On the rotor can be mounted:
- free rotating knives, either at full 360-degrees (like Seppi and many others) or partial rotation (like our old TRH models);
- fixed hammers;
- fixed knives;

The idea behind of the free rotating knives is that if they will rotate if they hit something too hard like rocks. In theory, they then should last longer in rocky condition. Construction have to be well-thought though, to avoid damages to the axle. And because the angle of cut is not constant, performances are not the best.

The fixed hammers technology feature a hammer, most of the time with carbide tips, which will last long in abrasive conditions. Some manufacturers claim they will eat rocks (although carbide do shatters when they hit rocks too hard). Some others will only say you can use them to mix material into the ground. Not as sensitive to impacts as knives, but far from being as productive when eating vegetation.

The fixed knives concept takes the axe and bring it to a rotating drum. As good in rocks as a chainsaw (meaning, not really). However, in vegetation, it's the most productive way of working. Does require to sharpen the blades, or otherwise, you end up working with tools like hammers.

That's of course not a complete picture, and things are evolving fast in the mulching equipment world.

Which machine to buy will depend on what you are required to do (or what kind of service you want to offer):
- for remote-areas where quality of finish is irrelevant, the vertical-shaft is often a good, low-cost option;
- for commercial-grade work, with nice finish, where productivity is not paramount, swiveling knives are fine;
- for anything that required to mix material into the ground, fixed-hammers mulchers are the choice. Or a roto-tiller.
- for work at ground-level or above, where nice finish is wanted and highest productivity is wanted, fixed-knives mulchers are the way to go.

And after that, your choice for a particular machine will depend on other features:
- frame construction (light duty, commercial, industrial?);
- driving mechanism (PTO, hydraulic, with v-belt, cogged-belt, direct drive?);
- service and support (spare parts included with the machine, visit by a technician, availability of spare parts if failure?);

Now it's yours to check out FAE, Fecon, Loftness, Tushogg, DENIS CIMAF and all the other different manufacturers, and decide which one has the machine for you...

Happy shopping :D

FD
Frederic Denis
DENIS CIMAF Inc.
www.deniscimaf.com

positrack

cant go wrong with FAE the teeth we got on ours has done about 1800 hrs not much life left but they still chew.you can replace the tips instead of forking out for the full tooth

shredder

Occupation
Product manager
Fecon, Magnum/ Bradco, Fmi, Fae, Seppi, Berti, Dennis Climaf

Hi Everyone,

I am from New Zealand and would like to share my thoughts on experiences I have had with various machines.

SEPPI- Good swinging flail mowers up to 3 inch in diameter

BERTI- As above

MAGNUM/ BRADCO- Good robust machines however this reverse interchangable hammer is not. You will find you will take the hammer down to a certain level and interchange the hammer. Thinking there is alot of meat left however in most cases you will find it will break once reversed.

FAE- Good robust machines however I havent had any luck with service and warranty claims. There used to be an agent here in NZ that made back up easy however I think that the FAE factory owns Australasia. I have tried many times to stake a warranty and nobody wants to know.

DENNIS CLIMAF- Excellent machines however I feel they are a little too heavy and only good in clear tree mulching and not contamination

FMI- New brand of smooth drum mulcher from Fecon. Excellent robust design with FAE style hammers. I have a good run out of these with really good back up here in NZ. However they do need to touch up on their touching finishes (only cosmetically)

FECON- We have also tried this brand and have had a good run out of them. However I am not that happy with an open styled drum. This slows down the drum and puts more pressure on the motor.

CATERPILLAR- IS AHWI which is made by fecon and ahwi.

ASV Mulcher- Is made by Fecon

If anybody requires any cheap FAE, FMI, BERTI, SEPPI hammers/ flails I can get my hands on some really good cheap ones in NZ dollars too.

As with the mulchers here in NZ or Australia I can lead you in the right direction for mulching equipment new or used.

I look forward to anyones answers or questions

Iron Horse

So , in your opinion . What would be the best mulcher in hydraulic and PTO for scrub type material from saplings to 6" regrowth in sandy soil with potential rock hazards .

deniscimafinc

Hi Everyone,

[...]

DENNIS CLIMAF- Excellent machines however I feel they are a little too heavy and only good in clear tree mulching and not contamination

Hem, if I may, it's spelled DENIS CIMAF, all caps. Well, officially, it would be "Denis CIMAF", because only the CIMAF part is an acronym. But that looks ugly IMO. So, let's do all caps.

That said, I agree, our machines are heavier than some Berti or Seppi, since we focus strictly on industrial class of machinery. That means thicker frame, bigger bearings, heavier hydraulic motor, and so on...

But as far as where our machines can be used or not, I'd be more than happy to organize a demo with you to make you change your mind :D Isn't it Spring in NZ these days? :D :D

FD
Frederic Denis
DENIS CIMAF Inc.
www.deniscimaf.com

shredder

Occupation
Product manager
Iron Horse

So , in your opinion . What would be the best mulcher in hydraulic and PTO for scrub type material from saplings to 6" regrowth in sandy soil with potential rock hazards .

It would really depend on what carriers you have available or what your budget is.
How big would the rocks be and what other contamination could you be expected to bump into?

Randy88

Anybody know anything about tushogg attachments, looked at fecon and wasn't real impressed and after trying to deal with them on other projects and listening to customer complaints, I'll pass on them. Looking for an attachment to follow my big grinder through the timber to clean up and give a nicer finish to the right of way clearing we are looking to do, don't want to spend a lot of time with my big grinder chasing small sticks and back dragging when it could be tackling the larger stuff. Currently have a new holland 190 with cab and high flow and don't want anything to do with a swinging hammer machine or a rotary mower type, been there done that, time to try something else but for 30 grand and a tight economy if we don't like it nobody will give anything on trade to go to something different. The only thing we have found so far is that they like to see you buy one and buy consumables we calculated it at 20 bucks an hour on teeth alone and for thier rock teeth it figures out at about 10 bucks an hour which wouldn't be bad if the rest of the machine would hold up and not require constant repair, others have cheaper consumables but the rest of the machine makes up the price difference, with constant bearing failures, belts, belts, and more belts and constant consumable repacement. Looked at and ran a loftness and wasn't real impressed, did a nice job but wouldn't really do the size material I need to do and didn't look like a machine for long term durability to me, have never been around the FAE or some of the others so any imput would be nice, looked at the pictures of the unit that was posted on this chat and some more info would be better. My wife is going to run it and tooth replacement must be somewhat simple because I don't want to stop everytime one needs to be replaced to do it for her, we run it 10 hours a day and so far haven't seen one that can make it half a day and at noon stop and check teeth for damage and replacement. Somewhere along the line when you have your spouse run equipment the repair falls under the catagory of " you bought the piece of sh-- you fix it yourself I'm here to operate it " which is totally understanding but when the machine requires low down time and ease of maintance its a perk all the way around. Yes theres rocks but the upside is they are big enough you have to drive around them so thus you can see them and I've already gone ahead and got everything knocked down to size anyhow it would just be finish type work for uniform chip size and length, looks mostly.

shredder

Occupation
Product manager
Hi Randy,

I guess for you I would firstly ask youself
1. Who is the closest distributor for back up and parts.
2. Which distributor has the most experience in your area.

It sounds like you run your mulcher and New Holland constantly through out the entire day and need something robust (best on the market).

I have not personally run the Tushogg but looking at the drum configuration it seems to be the same layout of teeth as a twin header/ drum cutter for mining and tunnelling.

With this layout I would seem to think it would be great on rocks but will not mulch your material small enough for a nice finish. It looks like it would bruise the timber more than shredd it.

Have you tried FMI attachments they are a branch off Fecon and seem to have more understanding of professional attachments and offer a fixed-smooth style drum not a Fecon open cast drum.

We are currently using FMI attachments here in New Zealand because of our rocky and harsh conditions.

We have tried FAE as well and their spare parts/ customer relations were utter crap, excuse my french.

If you would like a contact by all means drop me a thread and I will pass the details along.

Iron Horse

If i were in your position and had the work i would buy an Iron Wolf mulcher . All the others are just toys from what ive seen . They take way to long to do the task and fall apart on a regular basis . It's a hard thing to find a machine that can take on scrub as there are so many facets to the job , standing timber in all sizes , fallen timber of all sizes , rocks , gullies , stumps , roots with dirt and rocks mixed in etc . The Iron Wolf eats it all and leaves a presentable non erosion layer behind it .

Attachments

• Slasher-Series-LF.jpg
    Slasher-Series-LF.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 6,647

Randy88

Shredder
Thanks for the reply, no I've never seen the FMI attachments before, how close of a company are they to Fecon and Reyco? Same company different building trying to recoop their reputation and marketshare? Are the FMI cutters made in the US or somewhere else and if so where? I agree totally I need to get something that has good customer support and parts but I don't know who that is, I have eliminated some that don't fall into that catagory but don't know enough about the rest. The tushogg has two different cutters a pointed rock tooth and a round carbide cutter and when you listen to sales they have the typical line of bull, they have a cure all and received devine intervention and have solved all others problems, etc, etc. Don't have a clue of customer support or quality of product or if thier machine has 10% reality, 90% hype. Just looking at the design and construction and they did eliminate drive belts and some of the other cutters draw backs but nobody seems to know about them, just that their another cutter company selling units. Did look into the iron wolf but they came out after I had my big grinder already put together, they did at least put some thought into the unit and testing before putting it onto the market and I probably would have leaned towards them if I wouldn't have had a big one already but the last I knew they didn't have a smaller unit to fit a skidsteer, they were talking about making a smaller unit but still wanted to hang a power pack onto a smaller cat but thats been a few years ago, lost track of them since. Ran a differnt cutter for a few hours one day two years ago, called a brown cutter or something like that, didn't do too bad a job, was somewhat bulky and had a pressure diverter rigged to the bottom of the unit so when you raised it off the ground it killed hydraulic pressure to the head to eliminate throwing debris at the cab, needed refining somewhat but wasn't too bad really, told the company rep to see about changing and fixing a couple problems and he said great they were wondering how to overcome those issues and was eager to change them and never heard from him again and don't know if they got it up and running or not. I figured if they couldn't get back to me we'd just scratch them off the list, but they did have the nicest unit I've seen yet and felt it was the most durable but can't remember all the perticulars about it.