• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fabtek 344B

Dave J.

Looking for a service manual, troubleshooting manual, and electrical schematics for a 1998 Fabtek 344b. I inherited a job where the machine died in the woods, and wouldn't start. It has several electrical issue, and is flashing code 41, and code 106. I was told that code 41 is no neutral, I did change the park brake sensor, and repaired wiring to the door switch. The machine will now start, but I have no power to the shifter or joy sticks. All Cat could get me was a partial service manual, and I have tried online, but came up short. Any help would be appreciated.

Dave J.

Nothing on the engine or transmission maybe.? If Fabtek used a Cat drive train it’s just a matter of figuring out which one it is.

Even a Cat Part Number on something like an axle or differential could assist.
It has a Deere 4045 and I believe it has a Funk power shift transmission. My big concern is it has a lot of corrosion on the circuit board, and I have only 3 volts going to the left joystick fuse with the fuse removed, and that goes away when the fuse is put back in. I'm mostly in need of a wiring diagram. The machine is almost 2 hours away, and is a mile hike back in the woods. Plus I'm not allowed on the property with out the logging crew on site, and they split at 2:30 every day they decide to show up.

Plebeian

Might be a case of contacting the forestry equipment mechanics in the States where the Fabtek forwarders have been more numerous, so the mechanics have worked on them over a long time to know the faults and remedies. Plus they are more likely to have the manuals if they have worked on the machines frequently.

There are 3D printers that can print obsolete circuit boards, if a used circuit board (in an acceptable condition) is not available from a machine wrecker etc. The places where old machines are numerous can be more likely to know if someone has reverse-engineered new circuit boards for particular machines.

Most of the John Deere stuff can be looked up online, e.g trans DF150/ DF250 and multiple different wiring harnesses etc.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
Fabtek was kind of a hodgepodge of parts. Deere powered but cat owned them for a while. I don’t have much to offer except to call around to several cat dealers in the northern states and see if anyone in the service department can help you. The corrosion in the circuit board would concern me. Can you clean it up with electrical cleaner? the next thing I would want to do is try and get it out to the wood yard.

Dave J.

I thought you were working with a Cat power train. In that case I'm sorrying I have nothing.
I was able to talk to an individual in Canada who is familiar with these. He was able to give me some direction to go. I'll share what I find when I get back out to the machine Monday.

Dave J.

Fabtek was kind of a hodgepodge of parts. Deere powered but cat owned them for a while. I don’t have much to offer except to call around to several cat dealers in the northern states and see if anyone in the service department can help you. The corrosion in the circuit board would concern me. Can you clean it up with electrical cleaner? the next thing I would want to do is try and get it out to the wood yard.
I've been searching the web, and thought it was just a generic Deere back then, but I was definitely wrong. I'm thinking that with the new information I have, I will be able to power up the shifter, and boom controls, bi-passing the circuit board. We'll see.

Dave J.

Might be a case of contacting the forestry equipment mechanics in the States where the Fabtek forwarders have been more numerous, so the mechanics have worked on them over a long time to know the faults and remedies. Plus they are more likely to have the manuals if they have worked on the machines frequently.

There are 3D printers that can print obsolete circuit boards, if a used circuit board (in an acceptable condition) is not available from a machine wrecker etc. The places where old machines are numerous can be more likely to know if someone has reverse-engineered new circuit boards for particular machines.

Most of the John Deere stuff can be looked up online, e.g trans DF150/ DF250 and multiple different wiring harnesses etc.
I talked to an individual from Canada last night who is familiar with the machines. He said there really isn't much information on the older machines. I will post what I am able to accomplish Monday.