• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

f-800

Duke

But you can't get a 534 gas in an F-800.

Best available motor in a 80's F-800 is a CAT 3208 @ 250HP.

Best available motor in a 90's F-800 is a Cummins 8.3L ISC @ 250HP.

Best available motor in a 00's F-750 would be a 275 or 300 HP CAT C-7. I guess. :beatsme

I don't think you can get ISC power in a Ford anymore.

Camarogenius

Evening, gentlemen.
I just closed a deal today on an F-800 5+2 w/ a 7.8 and air brakes, and cold A/C with 89,000 miles on it.
I know a good bit about hotrodding the 5.9 cummins, but this 7.8 is a new animal to me. From what I've read on this post, there's not much love for this engine. What can it stand, and what will blow it up?
This truck is going to replace my dodge that I keep tearing up. (first a rear end, then the tranny) So, I need it to be cross country reliable, but I want it to not be a pooch.
Any advice?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I don't think you can get ISC power in a Ford anymore.

I know in the 07 Ford 750 has a Cummins option. The reason why I know this is because I was searching the manual on our 07 F750 water truck today, which has a Cat, for the cruise control fuse and the manual had a section on the Cummins engine. Unfortunately the manual didn't have a diagram for the cruise control fuse - which sucks because you can't idle the truck up to use the hand hose.:Banghead

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
which sucks because you can't idle the truck up to use the hand hose.:Banghead

Hey CM, our water truck, here at the quarry, was converted from a scraper. It came with the "brick or big rock" option.....if'n ya know what I mean. :D

That sucks about the cruise control. A real pain when you gotta use 2 guys instead of one, all because of a missing fuse outlet.

I was gonna end my post there but....

So the cruise control (if equipped) works with the truck in neutral or park? Would this also hold true to smaller trucks...say a Nissan Frontier for instance :confused:. I can think of atleast one instance where that would come in handy. High amperage accessories are coming to mind......

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
The 7.8 really doesn't have a good reputation but there are still quite afew old Fords still running around with them.

The 5.9 Cummins is out of its legue anything larger than a Dodge. You will be happy to have the bigger engine. Couple the 7.8 with a 8-9 spd Roadranger they pull fairly well. The 5+2 gearing not the best not that strong and not as easy to shift as a 8spd.

Thank god the truck is on full air the juice brakes on the old F-Series medium duty Fords is a nightmare.

Camarogenius

Hey CM, our water truck, here at the quarry, was converted from a scraper. It came with the "brick or big rock" option.....if'n ya know what I mean. :D

That sucks about the cruise control. A real pain when you gotta use 2 guys instead of one, all because of a missing fuse outlet.

So the cruise control (if equipped) works with the truck in neutral or park? Would this also hold true to smaller trucks...say a Nissan Frontier for instance :confused:. I can think of atleast one instance where that would come in handy. High amperage accessories are coming to mind......
From what I've seen, No. The smaller stuff doesn't allow for the cruise to be used for Idle-up. Now the minute I say that, I'll be proven wrong.

Duke

I know in the 07 Ford 750 has a Cummins option. The reason why I know this is because I was searching the manual on our 07 F750 water truck today, which has a Cat, for the cruise control fuse and the manual had a section on the Cummins engine. Unfortunately the manual didn't have a diagram for the cruise control fuse - which sucks because you can't idle the truck up to use the hand hose.:Banghead

ISC power = 8.3L Cummins
ISB power = 5.9L Cummins

You can't get 8.3L ISC power anymore, but you can get the new 6.7L Cummins that replaced the 5.9L Cummins.:Banghead

Clear as mud? :pointhead

Duke

Evening, gentlemen.
I just closed a deal today on an F-800 5+2 w/ a 7.8 and air brakes, and cold A/C with 89,000 miles on it.
I know a good bit about hotrodding the 5.9 cummins, but this 7.8 is a new animal to me. From what I've read on this post, there's not much love for this engine. What can it stand, and what will blow it up?
This truck is going to replace my dodge that I keep tearing up. (first a rear end, then the tranny) So, I need it to be cross country reliable, but I want it to not be a pooch.
Any advice?

Sounds like a nice truck.
It can't stand very much. Weird bird-the pump is on the passenger side. Everyone I know who tweaked a 7.8L eventually burned a piston. Probaby the best place to start is with the pump for a mild tweak. Might be able to get 20HP without spending anything.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win

Yeah- got 2 guys on the truck today instead of one. Does the "brick or big rock" idea count if one of them is dumb as a .... naw just kidding.:D

Most of the single axle size trucks and up have this kind of idle control Throw it neutral, set the park brake and idle up high as you want. I do know that the newer F250's and up have an auxillary idle countrol option from the factory. I am sure there are aftermarket idle devices out there for your high amperage needs - let's keep it legal:D

Prep

Occupation
Operating Engineer, Local 18
Evening, gentlemen.
Any advice?

Congrats on the truck purchase. We have an 1988 F-800 with the 7.8 and have had no problems with it. The truck does a good job pulling our New Holland 655e. I only wish our F-800 had air (both for the brakes and the driver)! Good luck with your F-800.

nevrenufhp

You can do the fuel screw for free, as Duke suggested. Since you know the Dodge stuff, try an HX40 or 50 on it. There's gotta be some place to get hi- flow injectors.

Camarogenius

My first mods are probably gonna start with a charge air cooler,(intercooler) and maybe propane injection. I'm going to concentrate on power mods that increase reliability. Before I do anything like cranking the bump, I'm going to set it up with a pyrometer, and a boost guage.
Once I can monitor temps and pressures, Then it's on!!
Also, I'm looking for an RTO "6" series 13 or 15 speed.

robox

Hi there-
I'm a new member and this is my first post. (I as a newbie, I couldn't ask this question with a new thread, and this seemed like a good thread to ask it)

I've just bought a Chevy Kodiak crane truck with a non-turbo Cat 3208. I read a little about this engine BEFORE I bought it, and read mixed reviews. Of course everything else I've read AFTER buying the truck leads me to conclude that it's not well-loved, to put it nicely.

My question is... does anyone know how possible it would be to drop in a DT466? I've always liked Internationals, and that seems to be a well-respected engine.

What would I need to get the job done?

Thanks a lot,
Christian

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF robox! :drinkup

Is there anything wrong with the engine in your truck now?

surfer-joe

Ho! Ho! Ho!

Jack up the radiator cap from the Chev, and drive an International truck that already has the 466 engine under it. Easiest and happiest way to perform this engine transfer.

Good Luck!

ps: Keep the 3208 for use as a boat anchor. Best use I've ever heard of for them.

Komatsu 150

Not really.... just under-powered, leaks oil, and has 200K on the clock.
A little more power would be nice.

Christian

If it really has 200k and you keep running it, do yourself a big favor, pull the pan and change the bearings. Only diesel I've seen where the factory recommends changing rod bearings at "half life". If you dig around in the service manual you'll find "half life" is considered to be 75,000 miles. After owning three of those things, 200,000 miles seems like a wild fantasy.

robox

After owning three of those things, 200,000 miles seems like a wild fantasy.

You see, it's statements like this that make me want to consider transplanting something more reliable into it.

And I don't have the money to buy another truck... it has been a big leap for me to buy this one.

Is anyone aware of another decent diesel that might swap in there relatively easily? Just engine mounts and a bellhousing?

Thanks,
Christian

Duke

You see, it's statements like this that make me want to consider transplanting something more reliable into it.

And I don't have the money to buy another truck... it has been a big leap for me to buy this one.

Is anyone aware of another decent diesel that might swap in there relatively easily? Just engine mounts and a bellhousing?

Thanks,
Christian

A DT466 will not just bolt in. There'll be a lot of ancillary systems, wiring & lines to deal with radiator, shroud, etc.

The best thing to do is get a turboed 3208 with a higher power output and it will drop in easily.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
The much maligned 3208 is pretty much a victim of circumstance. At origin it was less than 160 Hp....and over the years it got cranked and cranked and cranked some more....resulting in the boat anchor theory.

A mate of mine has a Ford L8000 dump truck with 3208/Allsion Auto. That truck has 160,000 miles without a problem. The 3208 needs air, clean and cool. If the air intake is not good they will run hot. They need more regular oil changes, no more than 5000 miles. Then they need a driver content to run an engine which is underpowered for many of the applications it was placed in......otherwise its a boat anchor:rolleyes: