• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Explosion-proof

Shimmy1

Anyone have any real world experience on the actual benefits of an explosion-proof sewage lift pump? The pump is a Hydromatic HPG200 grinder pump, it was spec for construction to be explosion-proof, and they are $1200 more than standard. Our PWC is going to say we need to install exactly what we had, the pump guys say it's not worth the extra money. What say you guys?

skata

I don't see how a regular pump could cause an explosion if it's always under water, unless the pump gets stuck on and the water level drops....

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
If it calls for explosion proof why is it even a question of what to be put back in? I sure wouldn't assume any liability by putting something different in.

Delmer

Who's decision is this? I wouldn't worry one bit about a lift station pump if you have any say in the matter. The only real world benefit is if you're in court after it explodes :D

walkerv

Our sumps at the landfill i worked at , the pumps may have been explosion proof possibly but the wiring sure the heck wasnt , the control boxes were weather proof but not boom proof. I would say like a couple others if it calls for boom proof use it as im sure customer is paying for it anyways .

skata

If it explodes, hopefully nothing will remain of the pumps to come back at you!