1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Explosion-proof

Discussion in 'General Industry Questions' started by Shimmy1, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

Anyone have any real world experience on the actual benefits of an explosion-proof sewage lift pump? The pump is a Hydromatic HPG200 grinder pump, it was spec for construction to be explosion-proof, and they are $1200 more than standard. Our PWC is going to say we need to install exactly what we had, the pump guys say it's not worth the extra money. What say you guys?

2. walkerv

walkerv Senior Member

What kinda of facility is said pump at.

3. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

A lift station. It's basically a manhole about 16' deep, pump is at the bottom. Always under water.

4. skata

skata Senior Member

I don't see how a regular pump could cause an explosion if it's always under water, unless the pump gets stuck on and the water level drops....

5. walkerv

walkerv Senior Member

I meant like is it at a warehouse , a repair shop , gas station, is there any hazards nearby that could even call for having an boom proof pump.

CM1995 and Ronsii like this.
  6. redneckracin

redneckracin Senior Member

Civil Engineer
    If it calls for explosion proof why is it even a question of what to be put back in? I sure wouldn't assume any liability by putting something different in.

7. Delmer

Delmer Senior Member

Who's decision is this? I wouldn't worry one bit about a lift station pump if you have any say in the matter. The only real world benefit is if you're in court after it explodes :D

8. walkerv

walkerv Senior Member

Our sumps at the landfill i worked at , the pumps may have been explosion proof possibly but the wiring sure the heck wasnt , the control boxes were weather proof but not boom proof. I would say like a couple others if it calls for boom proof use it as im sure customer is paying for it anyways .

9. skata

skata Senior Member

If it explodes, hopefully nothing will remain of the pumps to come back at you!