• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Exhaust burns eyes. Stinks

Tja349

Komatsu pc35. 2010 2000 hrs

I bought this at auction Had a ticking injector that had jb weld holding the little fuel line on. Replaced it. No more tic.

Only issue is the exhaust is terrible. kind of smells rich or something. I just used it for about an hr and my eyes are killing me. Any ideas on the cause?

Shimmy1

PC35 probably small enough that the exhaust is dirt old diesel exhaust. If some dumbass JB welded something on an injector, it probably hasn't had the best care taken of the fuel system. Probably needs a valve set as well as some premium fuel with some Deere injector cleaner ran through it.

Delmer

Use up the tank of fuel, or drain it and use it in something bigger or a brush pile or whatever. Use it a couple days with fresh fuel and see if it improves.

Late timing could change the exhaust, but run it a while before bothering to check that.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Use up the tank of fuel, or drain it and use it in something bigger or a brush pile or whatever. Use it a couple days with fresh fuel and see if it improves.

Late timing could change the exhaust, but run it a while before bothering to check that.
Also is it getting up to temperature, say 180ºF? Cold running engines can be nasty smelling.

Tja349

I believe so. Used it last night. It was cookin I’ll put some new fuel in it’s almost empty. And add the injector cleaner

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Well if it was an old 1960's END711 Mack I would say it's running just like new! At least everyone I was ever around would gag you big time when first started and let idle!

cw4Bray

IARC classifies diesel engine exhaust as “carcinogenic to humans,” based on sufficient evidence ...