• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

excavator shear

JPCobra105

Occupation
owner/operator jpexpress demolition and excavation
hi everyone.
im looking into putting a small shear on one of my cat 312's
i really only need it for this one job. looked into renting and they want 3000$ a day. so i think im gonna buy a used one.
any input on what i should look at?
right now im looking at a laBounty MSD 105R.
my machine has one aux circuit. it appears that this shear is rotating. can anyone explain how i would go about mounting it? do i need a secondary aux circuit to use it?
im not trying to spend too much. but at 3000$ a day i can probably buy one for the week or so ill need it.

id like a shear that goes on the bucket linkage and one that only needs the one aux circuit.
thanks for any input

special tool

$3000 A DAY????
Uuuuuh, yeah.
Someone else trying to retire on one job.
Please call my friend Rick.
35 years in business only hammer, couplers, shears, crushers, etc.
914-224-3203
Westchester.

ben46a

With a rotator you need a Medium pressure circuit and a case drain line, as well as two pump, 2 way flow for the shear. If you only have one pump two way flow your shear will be very slow operating due to the size of the cylinder. Also, on a smaller machine such as yur a shear without a rotator is very hard on sticks and linkages as the rotator will turn i overstressed and not transfer that stress to the machine.

JPCobra105

Occupation
owner/operator jpexpress demolition and excavation
3000$ a day was from hertz rental. they only rent the shear with a machine. (cat 320 i think) i called all around to find one local. cat dealer had a few recomendations, but for what it would cost between transport and rental for a week or so im better off buying one. at least it has some resale value.

as far as stressing the machine. im not too worried about it. it will be a very rare use. the largest material im cutting is 4in I beam.