• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Excavator refurb/repair project

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
That large hex on the bottom of the illustration that you show I believe is your anti cavitations valve there may be a Spring a poppet and couple shims beneath . not something you really want to disturb with a that level of rust.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Hey guys remember hes not flushing out after a catastrophic failure He is just trying to remove milky water contaminated hydraulic oil. In the grand scheme of things that small amount of oil isn't going amount to squat it won't harm The system any more than hes already done by having that in there 1st place . We don't wanna make a bigger problem than it needs to be.

TVA

He is also repaints the whole machine! And if it was me I would want to replace those bolts on final drive! It’s gonna get only worse from there! At least where I’m at! If he lives in dry climate, then he might get away with it!

Lagwagon

plan is to de-scale, treat with converter and prime & paint, anything further i cant be bothered with at the moment, just got to draw the line somewhere.
He is also repaints the whole machine! And if it was me I would want to replace those bolts on final drive! It’s gonna get only worse from there! At least where I’m at! If he lives in dry climate, then he might get away with it!

Lagwagon

91D7F164-C0F7-4BE4-9F13-83B33873C9E3.jpeg I dropped the 2 boom cylinders down, pushed the rods in and out a couple of times. Well worth it, got a heap of oil out. I plugged the ports with a hose into a bucket, unfortunately I pushed one a little too quick with the tractor bucket and the hose blew out. It was some milky geyser alright, it shot 20ft in the air. You can see the oil over the boom. I have oil everywhere, all over the shed, in my hair, ears.....couch. I have grey pungent sludge from the tank all down my arm to my neck. What a job!
I let all the lines I cracked drain for 24hrs so I think I’ve achieved the goal as best possible.