• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Excavator Model Numbers

hiluxman

Why do some manufacers label there machine not in the regular North America standerd like the old link belt 2800s etc and case 9030 and Evan before they where worse like a case 1088 is a 200 class excavator and O&k is also weird when the rh400 came out I thogth it was a 40 ton machine snice it is labeld a "400" and Liebherr is also weird and Kato was the worst they are strange like HD1220iv wicht means nothing I think for a company to sell a excavator in the USA and Canada it must be relabeled a 200,300,400 LIke deere and hitachi

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
While I'm not sure about the older linkbelt/case numbering. Remember Deere's used to use the x90/x92 (such as the 992's), which I believe was their weight class in pounds instead of metric tons. O&K first two numbers were the yard capacity of the bucket, for example the rh400 was a 40 yard bucket (average), it weighs 980-1050 tons. Course now it's the cat 6090... where the 90 is the capacity of the bucket in tons. Liebherr is in the process of updating their numbers I believe.