• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

excavator king post bushes

Topley Mike

Hi all, I have the casting of an excavator king post here with worn pin holes. I would like to bore it out to accept off the shelf bushes. I can get the bushes in the correct size 70/85/36 but I need a hole for the locating pin to pass through one of them, will I be able to drill a steel bush?

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Carbide drill would be able to do that, not a carbide tipped but solid carbide. what size is the hole you need to drill

Topley Mike

Carbide drill would be able to do that, not a carbide tipped but solid carbide. what size is the hole you need to drill

hole in new pin 10.8 mm so clearance plus for alignment.

I have just tried drilling the casting and it drills easily (cobalt drill) with spiral swarf so if it is cast steel I may be better to weld the bore instead

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Well, that's probably true, good old fashioned line bore, weld and bore again will have you ship shape and standard size in no time.