• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Excavator for Forestry Mulching

Orlando

A lot of contractors here in Australia run the dash 9 Hyundai Robex Excavators very reliable and robust and plenty of power with the big cummins motor.
We have a 2016 model 30 tonner which spends a lot of time pushing over old massive Cypress trees and can't complain!

Orlando

We also have this 3.5 tonne rock crusher hanging off it a lot of the time.

Attachments

• IMG_1804.JPG
    IMG_1804.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 22

Orlando

We normally just rip the roots and push the tree over whole but we had services underground close by so had to scarf tree and then push.IMG_1797.JPG IMG_1788.JPG

Powertek

Lots of good points on this thread regarding the right equipment running the right heads.
I work for Powertek Equipment in Concord, NC. We have designed and built a single engine, purpose built machine to run any high horsepower attachments. Most of our customers are in ROW and clearing so they run mulching heads, which we also build. This is NOT a powerpack and it is also not the single engine you buy off a dealer lot. These machines are anywhere from 450-800HP, depending on size and engine selection. Check out the video and flyer. This has solved the problems so many of our customers have had over the years-not enough power to run machine and attachment, overheating and cumbersome in size. Most of our machines built so far have been similar to a CAT 320 or 326.

Attachments

• POWERTEK-Production Class Excavator Flyer.pdf
    5 MB · Views: 10

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Is that a Shinn mulching head? They were popular years ago in Australia but I haven't seen one for a long time. Tis a pity you didn't modify the original panel work on that machine thou.

Powertek

Is that a Shinn mulching head? They were popular years ago in Australia but I haven't seen one for a long time. Tis a pity you didn't modify the original panel work on that machine thou.
It is a Shinn style head. Where we are located in NC, this style is popular with our customer base.

j.wayne

First of all, the stress that a mulcher puts on an excavator is exactly what the excavator linkages are NOT designed for. Excavators are designed to mostly pull towards the main frame and push away from it. Look at the pin orientation and realize that the mulcher head will be constantly twisting the pins and bushings at the end of the stick and the boom-arm connections. It's also going to slap the hell out of the swing pinion and main gear. These connections take the brunt of the force but force is also transmitted throughout the entire structure. Plan to do bushings a lot more often if you want to keep a relatively tight machine.

If you want efficiency, let the excavator do what it does best and let it lift and position the head. Supply hydraulic power to the head via a separate engine and hydraulic system WITH A BIG COOLING SYSTEM. When you trash the mulcher hydraulics, at least you don't trash the entire excavator hydraulic system. I've been through this a few times. Thankfully, I've never wasted the Komatsu's system.

Cooling a mulcher system demands a LOT of air flow and big heat exchangers. A stock excavator is not designed for the dust, debris and cooling demands that a mulcher will produce. Only true forestry designed machines will excel in such an environment.

What a good excavator mulcher setup will allow is tackling most anything you need to take out. With practice, you can slap off 16" diameter trees at 20'+ height and drop or sway the top with some finesse. You can then initiate a good crack and chase that crack to within the last 2'-3' of the stump to speed up the process. It blows off bigger chunks but speeds up the process. If I have a decent size right of way job with lots of over-the-edge cutting, the excavator is the choice tool.

If I can handle the job without the excavator, it is my last choice tool to put on a job. It may seem fast to some eyes but a good quality finish is not there without a lot of extra time, chips are not well contained and cause extra liability and all that lifting time is wasted time without a cut. With a good track machine I am ALWAYS cutting in forward and reverse. The excavator does not cover anywhere near as much ground per day unless it's specialty work that requires reaching over the edge like roads, levees, railroads or other situations. You also need a wider work area with an excavator to handle the tail swing and boom swing requirements. I've lost count of how many trees over 48" diameter that I've eaten with this machine. It will go through anything given enough time. 300 hp 8.3 Cummins, about 80+ GPM @ 5,000 psi. I really need to put a bigger pump on but I rarely use this machine any more. It's what got me up and going but I realize there are better options for me these days.

These were pics from an electrical right of way a couple years ago. Most of the surface is exposed limestone or limestone-chert mix. Too steep for anything else to be useful.

View attachment 246393
View attachment 246391
View attachment 246392

Super helpful post treemuncher, thanks for sharing!!! Nice work too.