• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Excavator Challenge

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums Chubbs Mcgee! :drinkup

tw_692000

Occupation
heavy equipment opperator /assistant foreman
I had some free time while waiting on the lowboy to arrive so I tried the 12 oz coke can. First I tried an empty can and it immediatly crushed so i tried the full can. Here is what happened!
Sorry the camera is so far away. I did not want it to get wet if the can exploded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-SCO2rH7wg

nice job cris !!!! i like ur thumb better than the one on my machine by the way nice volvo brother:)

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Thanks, Its one of the best thumbs I have ever used.

We have always said If your gonna get a thumb there is no need to get a cheap one, go ahead and get a good one and you will not regret it.

dayexco

aw come on!!!...you place a coke can tween the teeth...tweek the grapple until you can pick it up...takes "some" dexterity....try lighting the kitchen match with the sandpaper taped to a bucket tooth without breaking the match stick, then we'll know how much feel for a machine you got.

mike69440

Occupation
Engineer
I want to see the video?

aw come on!!!...you place a coke can tween the teeth...tweek the grapple until you can pick it up...takes "some" dexterity....try lighting the kitchen match with the sandpaper taped to a bucket tooth without breaking the match stick, then we'll know how much feel for a machine you got.

IF this has been done, I want to see the video.

dayexco

i did it about 10 yrs ago, took me just about a half a box of matches to do it, didn't own video cam at the time, it can be done, i just don't have it captured on film. if you got the finesse and the balls, should be a relatively easy feat, huh?

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
So you just taped a match stick to the tooth and light it by draging it across sandpaper without breaking the stick correct?

What size machine were you on?

dayexco

tape the sandpaper to your bucket tooth, stick the match stick in a crack in the sidewalk/asphalt, etc.

210 hyundai, 210 case, 690 deere

tscacadc

I am new to the forum but I have to say that is pretty impressive!

Last edited:

newjcb123uk

Pull 2 corks out?

Over here in Northern Ireland we had a JCB driver champanionship. each contender had to drive a JCB around a set course - lift a bucket of water without spilling it with the front bucket and then pull out two "metal" corks out of Guinness bottles mounted on a table. (which I did sucessfully) I was only 13 years old) - yeah yeah look at me) Each participant was also rewarded by a bottle of Guinness (They sponsered the event) - trouble was men were entering the contest several times which ment several Guinnesses which ment wobbly driving under the influence - needless to say some participants were not allowed to drive in the competition again. Ahh those were the days!:cool2

Attachments

• image-7.jpg
    image-7.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 282

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums tscacadc! :drinkup

Occupation
Self employed Heavy-hauler , Heavy machinery mover
Putting 235 bucket tooth in back pocket of pipelayer

I doubt I could do it now ,but back in my days as a trackhoe operator I always looked for new ways to sharpen my dept perception and hand / eye coordination. One way I found was to wait for the pipelayer in the ditch ( a good friend with a sense of humor ) to bend over to align the pipe to the laser and I would put a bucket tooth in his back pants pocket and sit him down in the ditch.
What made it a challenge was I was on a 235 Cat and the " target " was in a ditch 25' from me.
I don't reccomend trying this. I'd been a op then for over 15 years and had " the velvet touch " on a machine.

:usa

biggixxerjim

i call bs. how far is this stick into the crack, anyway??

lets see some prof. If you could do it then, u can do it now, right? Especially with far superior equipment..

biggixxerjim

I doubt I could do it now ,but back in my days as a trackhoe operator I always looked for new ways to sharpen my dept perception and hand / eye coordination. One way I found was to wait for the pipelayer in the ditch ( a good friend with a sense of humor ) to bend over to align the pipe to the laser and I would put a bucket tooth in his back pants pocket and sit him down in the ditch.
What made it a challenge was I was on a 235 Cat and the " target " was in a ditch 25' from me.
I don't reccomend trying this. I'd been a op then for over 15 years and had " the velvet touch " on a machine.

:usa

I dont think a 235 tooth will fit in a back pocket........:umno

tylermckee

i call bs. how far is this stick into the crack, anyway??

lets see some prof. If you could do it then, u can do it now, right? Especially with far superior equipment..

i bought a box of strike anywhere matches and some sand paper and i could hardly light a match using my hands!

Occupation
Self employed Heavy-hauler , Heavy machinery mover
Depends

I dont think a 235 tooth will fit in a back pocket........:umno

With a 40" Texas rock bucket, the points of the middle tooth will . Thank ya .

And I do still have " the touch " and other than my eyes going bad, I could do it again within a few minutes on any machine...........If I could see ! ( old age sux )
Ain't got money, ain't got the but I DO have " the touch ".

NCCCO : Manitowoc 3900 W S-2, 4000W, 4100 S-3 , 14000 w/ 282 main ' and 373' Luffing and American
IUOE 382
28 years
Little Rock, Arkansas

Last edited: