• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Excavator backfill conveyor

Deeretime

Occupation
superintendent
I was looking at the felco backfill conveyor, and i think that is is definately a great idea but there is little known about them i would like to find out if any one has had any experience with them before and how easy it is to get compaction with them or if that is even possible.

If a guy had the digging machine bedding the pipe would it be possible for another hoe or maybe 2 to plate tamp the fill in 3 foot lifts as it comes in .
Attached Images

Attachments

• FelcoIndu_BackfillC_21628.png
    FelcoIndu_BackfillC_21628.png
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,428

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
Ive never ran one, but have seen a few in the past. Never one like you posted though. The ones I have seen were mounted on to the undercarriage of the hoe, with a hopper on the rear, and a conveyor running under neath the machine, dumping out right at the front of the tracks.
We have a Felco ditching bucket. It has a compactor plate built onto the bucket. Works just like a hoe-pak but you can dig your trench with it. Pretty handy bucket. Very well built, and tough enough to handle any ditching needs. The only thing I dont like about it is its a smooth face. I guess a guy could weld shanks on it if needed.

EGS

Occupation
Local 139 operator
Ive never ran one, but have seen a few in the past. Never one like you posted though. The ones I have seen were mounted on to the undercarriage of the hoe, with a hopper on the rear, and a conveyor running under neath the machine, dumping out right at the front of the tracks.
We have a Felco ditching bucket. It has a compactor plate built onto the bucket. Works just like a hoe-pak but you can dig your trench with it. Pretty handy bucket. Very well built, and tough enough to handle any ditching needs. The only thing I dont like about it is its a smooth face. I guess a guy could weld shanks on it if needed.

I have ran the type mounted under the undercarriage quite a bit before. They are very handy, just make sure you aren't swinging around when the loader man is filling the hopper.:D

Deeretime

Occupation
superintendent
Yea those are the bedding conveyors and i know about those but this is a conveyor that the digging machine spills in instead of making a spill pile.
The material is sent back 60ft and returned back into the trench.

Ill try to find some more pictures

EGS

Occupation
Local 139 operator
Yea those are the bedding conveyors and i know about those but this is a conveyor that the digging machine spills in instead of making a spill pile.
The material is sent back 60ft and returned back into the trench.

Ill try to find some more pictures

Deeretime the one you are talking about a contractor around here had one and it was a pain in a$$ to set-up. They did not use it very much.

dynahoescott

forget the undercarriage mounted one, maneuverability goes way down with them especially in the mud. A loader with a side dump totally eliminates the need for this.:pointhead

Deeretime

Occupation
superintendent
forget the undercarriage mounted one, maneuverability goes way down with them especially in the mud. A loader with a side dump totally eliminates the need for this.:pointhead

i still dont think that some of you are fully understanding this.

Im NOT talkiing about the hopper that mounts on the hoe to feed bedding material to the trench. I know about those.

This system is supposed to work like this.
1 Material is fed in to a 60ft conveyor (the excavator dumps the dirt from the trench into this conveyor, Instead of creating a pile.

The conveyor then takes the material back along side the trench and dumps it back into the excavation, behind the trench box where the pipe is sitting.

Creating no need to clean up spill piles or load trucks !

Deeretime

Occupation
superintendent
Speed in backfilling an open trench has always been problematic for utility contractors. We have designed the solution, the Felco Backfill Conveyor.

For maximum production, the excavator operator places material in the hopper, sending it the length of the conveyor. The material is returned to the trench (past the trench box) by means of a reversible cross conveyor and is immediately accessible for compaction. Utilizing the Felco Backfill Conveyor to immediately return spoil to the trench increases the efficiency and profitability of a project in a number of ways: It removes costly truck requirements from the trenching operation and eliminates spoil stockpiling to maximize digging time. It also helps prevent clean-up costs and potential damage to private property.

Felco Backfill Conveyors are now available with a custom swivel conveyor option. The swivel conveyor is attached directly below the end of the main conveyor. The swivel conveyor can be rotated to allow the operator to place the spoils exactly where they are needed.

Attachments

• conveyor 1.jpg
    conveyor 1.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 1,072
  • felco_2.jpg
    felco_2.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 1,015

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I could see where one of these backfill conveyors would be a money maker depending on the project. If you were running 1K's of LF/LM of pipe with access for the conveyor and could use the existing material as backfill, it would cut out a lot of work for the backfill and clean-up crew. For the right project the conveyor could pay for itself in one job. Curious to see what the minimum amount of LF or LM per job that the machine becomes profitable.

Deeretime

Occupation
superintendent
well i want to know if there could be a way to get compation behind this thing, like in 3ft lifts and such if a guy had a good hoe pack working just ahead of where the conveyor was spilling and such

I figured this verry roughly

Inorder to do a couple of miles of water line nine feet deep i would have to have on site my

350 digging
270 bedding and putting on the first lift
160 to pack the lift
230 to put the nex lift in
200 plate tamp
850 to bulk dirt in and rough finnish
84" packer

Deeretime

Occupation
superintendent
well i want to know if there could be a way to get compation behind this thing, like in 3ft lifts and such if a guy had a good hoe pack working just ahead of where the conveyor was spilling and such

I figured this verry roughly

Inorder to do a couple of miles of water line nine feet deep i would have to have on site my

350 digging
544 run spoon
270 bedding and putting on the first lift
160 to pack the lift
230 to put the nex lift in
200 plate tamp
850 to bulk dirt in and rough finnish
84" packer
14 grader to clean up and topsoil
totaling 1135 per hour

With this machine all i would need is my
350, 850,160,200,14,544,84" packer
witch gives me a savings of 155,hr

if the conveyor costs 150,000 new then it will take 967.7 hrs for me to pay that off.

Again it is verry rough estiments but i think it would pay for itself even quicker if i didnt have to have the 160+200 in there to plate tamp.