• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

ex120 slew motor seals

danc

had some oil leakage around the slew ring area some time ago. it appeared after working for several hours, prior to this machine had stood idle for several months (strarted and moved a few times,no real work as such)

The leak is not apparent any more, slew ring area is dry.

Oil level in gearbox is ok.
I went to check the ring tub for grease recently( base of boom cylinders), and I can see a few mm of clean oil in there.

So is likey this is hydraulic from the motor, or from the reduction gearbox.
How do i drain the oil from the tub now, and which seal is the likely culprit

overworked

How many hours on machine ? Usualy when swing mtr leaks it over fills swing box first. Oil in swing box will become thin. Lower swing box seal will lower gear oil level. is oil on top of grease thin like hyd oil or thick like gear oil ?

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
There's a cover just like the one between boom cylinders up underneath the machine near the rotary joint. Remove to drain.

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
Hi there Dan, i had this on a EX120-5 at Chrismas time, it turned out to be the centre joint the main seal that keeps the oil in the slew joint! it was leaking out and filling the grease tub! would get worse when it got hot! Have a look a round the joint with the machine running and you may see it leaking! I have the seals in stock if you find you need them!

I also have an Ex60 to do tomorrow with the save problem! not looking forward to it as they are alot smaller and compact!

Aiden

Last edited:

danc

Thanks for replies,

I shall try and drain the oil from the tub and find the source. it had the slew ring drenched one day, was dripping onto the tracks.. the machine was going busy and hot

had several days working since, not a drop to be seen around ring.
So if I drain tub, recheck after few hot hours work.. no oil then it's healed:D
what are the chances:cool:

I wonder is it wise to split the slew motor from the gearbox, and carefully turn the motor with joystick, do these have brake seals similar to the track motors.. i know when these go, they blow the ouput (low pressure) seal on the motor, then fill the planetary gearbox with hyd oil.

just past 10k hours last week

danc

Hi Aiden, on the 120, did you notice oil from below the swivel joint, or did you prise up the thick grommet around the swivel joint to find the leak

overworked

My memory is slow so I apoligize, I did one last fall for a small scrap yard here. Same as Aiden said, top seal was leaking , spool was pitted so we stuck it in the lathe and removed a small amount. Can't remember maybe .030 , better to have smooth ,rebuilt with new seals and don't forget a new boot. We had a little bit of a. Time to get right boot because machine was gray market. Ex120

Last edited:

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
Hi Aiden, on the 120, did you notice oil from below the swivel joint, or did you prise up the thick grommet around the swivel joint to find the leak

Yep did just that and saw it straight away, went to do the EX60 this morning and im not sure if it is centre joint or the slew motor, so topped up all oils and let the customer run it for a while...... we,ll find out later!:D

toonto

hi aiden, problem wit ex60/2. slew pump was empty{ aka dipstick}, filled wit gear oil, but leaked rapidly on larger ring. not much of a mechanic, what would u advise

pp13bnos

I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering what ever came of this danc? Yesterday, I went out and fired up my 120-5 that had been sitting for a month or so, loaded up some scrap into a dump truck and noticed the same thing after 30 minutes of running. I'm getting hydro oil in the slew ring area, then dripping down making a nice mess. The swing motors oil level is perfect, but the hydo level is a bit on the low side. If anyone has any further input, I'm all ears. :)

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering what ever came of this danc? Yesterday, I went out and fired up my 120-5 that had been sitting for a month or so, loaded up some scrap into a dump truck and noticed the same thing after 30 minutes of running. I'm getting hydro oil in the slew ring area, then dripping down making a nice mess. The swing motors oil level is perfect, but the hydo level is a bit on the low side. If anyone has any further input, I'm all ears. :)

hi there, Havnt seen dan on for a while, but id say its your slew joint seals! theres a big o-ring in the joint that can break up, more so if its been sitting for a while! If you look at the slew joint on the top side there is a big gromet, pull this to one side with the machine running and you should see the oil leaking out!

Hope this helps, Aiden

jaytech

The center joint on my ex120 went bad recently.
If I remember correctly a rebuilt one cost about 5 grand if you can even find one.
But a seal kit to rebuild was less than $200us.
I was lucky in that I didnt have any pitting damage.
Installing the kit took the better part of a day.
By the time I was through I was soaked to the bone in hydraulic oil.
I remember lying on my back in oil with more oil dripping down on me.

SVIPD

I bet I could have matched the seal kit up for you and used better more tolerant materials and your cost would have been a fraction of the price. I hate seeing people throw money at the OEM for a seal kit that costs them .86 to make.

SVIPD

Hey, how much for a seal kit ex120-2 arm cylinder?

I don't have one in stock or I would let you know, I haven't converted one of them as of yet.
I can find one, buy it, match it, and send it to you for free if you are willing to BETA test it for me.

pp13bnos

Well, my machine is the hands of my mechanic. I decided I didn't want to be covered in hydro oil. ;) Lets hope its not going to cost me and arm or leg...

Murrayg

120-3

I don't have one in stock or I would let you know, I haven't converted one of them as of yet.
I can find one, buy it, match it, and send it to you for free if you are willing to BETA test it for me.

I have the HYd oil leaking down through the table to, can any one tell me how to change the seals ect and where I can get the seals?
murrayg Its a 120-3 grey market serial # 28685