• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

EX120-2 burnt Resistor PVC

KenAl

What I have seen is the Pump Angle sensor gets hot and shorts internally. This causes the 1 amp PVC fuse to pop. Then someone runs out of 1 amp fuses and puts in a bigger one. The resistor then burns.
I have also seen where any of the sensors or wiring for the sensors have a short to ground, this will burn the resistor.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
That looks pretty ugly! would check the transistor at the upper left for damage as well, if you overload a transistor sometimes they melt wide open and start cranking current through them. Likely at least replace the diode and resistor and that amplifier/switcher.

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
My EX200-2 had all kinds of shorts in the wiring harness under the engine on it's way to the pumps... Caused the same problem, except it didn't look quite as bad... I fixed all the wires that I could find broken (took me almost 10 days), tested all the sensors for correct resistance and replaced the resistor but the computer still didn't work, pops the fuse immediately. I bit the bullet and bought a new computer, but haven't been home since it arrived to put it in and test it... Hope you can find a used one for a good price somewhere, they're pretty spendy little items...

KenAl

I would try to change the resistor. I would not plug it in though until you find out why it blew. I have done this many times in the field and have been lucky with just changing the resistor although some have had additional problems. I used to carry one with me. I cannot remember the wattage or resistance. The wiring harness for these types of machines are the life blood of the machine and must be in good condition.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
KenAl might have it, I can't seem to find a resistor with four smoke colored rings and a black tolerance band. Guessing says it looks like a 2 watt maybe 1k resistor. The computer might be good but getting the right parts. Having a good working unit to compare to would be great. Might be cheap to replace the unit.

JeremiahSr

Occupation
Vice Pres./General man./Technician
I think that is for the swing brake circuit? Maybe bad solenoid or wires?

Ingvar

your right its a 10ohms 4watt:notworthy

Hello

I have the same resistor (R1) looking burnt on my circuit board. Also, the Zener Diode slightly above it, ZD1, is damaged from heat. It may only be exteriorly damaged, but I wish to replace it. My resistor actually still measures 10 ohm, and the zener is measuring 0.5 volts one way, and I can't measure the zener voltage.

Did you have any luck changing your resistor out?

Does anyone know what the zener diode is? Voltage and amps?
ZD1 and ZD2 seem to have different numbers written on them. ZD1 is partially fried on my board, though.

Thanks

dbs70301

I have a ex120-2 with the same problem .I've replaced the pvc and is not blowing the 1 amp fuse any longer, its now burning the resistor instead . Im in the process of looking for wiring problems . I cannot find a 10 ohm 4 watt resistor . Anyone have a picture the resistor or a place to buy ? Thanks in advance .

jaytech

its ok to use a higher wattage resistor as long as you have room to install it.
also its normal for a 4watt resistor to generate heat
you should double check your fuse to insure it is 1 amp
if its a small resistor with colored bands painted on it I would suspect it is a 1/4 watt not a 4 watt
how about a picture of your board?

dbs70301

its ok to use a higher wattage resistor as long as you have room to install it.
also its normal for a 4watt resistor to generate heat
you should double check your fuse to insure it is 1 amp
if its a small resistor with colored bands painted on it I would suspect it is a 1/4 watt not a 4 watt
how about a picture of your board?
I dont have the box on hand to take a picture of it but the resister is about 1/4" in diameter and 3/4"
long .