• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Equipment for a small, antiquated, one man operation

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I have a 28000 LB dump truck, a 22,500 LB triaxle trailer, a Case 580 Super N backhoe, a Dresser TD7G dozer (14000 LBS) I'm more an electrician, so equipment doesn't get used every day.
My hoe is big enough to dig & it doubles as a loader.
As I see it, I can dig a 46" deep trench 200' long in 3 hours. Restoring it to a lawn usually takes 2 days. I'm backfilling with the 2' toothed digging bucket, which is slow. Near everywhere I work is rocky soil, so a tremendous job of rock picking is done with backhoe & a utility tractor, but largely hand work. I usually get a load of "top soil" a local guy sells, a mix of sand & rotted manure.
I have no major purchases in mind, but a Harley rake, screener, 3' toothless bucket would make life easier.

MG84

Willie B, you and I have similar tastes in equipment. A dump truck, backhoe and dozer are all a man really needs to do most anything, I plan to keep all of those in my arsenal as long as I'm in this game. Even if I get an excavator I'm sure there will still be plenty of quick jobs where a 4wd backhoe is the only tool needed on the job. I can't count the number of times I've seen some poor guy on a mini excavator hauling dirt or rock from one end of the job site to the other, one tiny bucket full at a time.

The 6-8 ton mini/midi excavators are the ones I'm really interested to try out. I have a lot of seat time on a Kubota KX121 but that was years ago and 90% of that was trenching and dirt work. I've only run a 6 ton (Tak TB260) a grand total of about 8hrs and there again was mostly dirt work, although I did bring it back to the farm and take out a couple trees with it. Never been on an 8 ton machine but I look forward to trying one out. Seems to be a size that's only gotten popular in the last few years.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Willie B, you and I have similar tastes in equipment. A dump truck, backhoe and dozer are all a man really needs to do most anything, I plan to keep all of those in my arsenal as long as I'm in this game. Even if I get an excavator I'm sure there will still be plenty of quick jobs where a 4wd backhoe is the only tool needed on the job. I can't count the number of times I've seen some poor guy on a mini excavator hauling dirt or rock from one end of the job site to the other, one tiny bucket full at a time.

The 6-8 ton mini/midi excavators are the ones I'm really interested to try out. I have a lot of seat time on a Kubota KX121 but that was years ago and 90% of that was trenching and dirt work. I've only run a 6 ton (Tak TB260) a grand total of about 8hrs and there again was mostly dirt work, although I did bring it back to the farm and take out a couple trees with it. Never been on an 8 ton machine but I look forward to trying one out. Seems to be a size that's only gotten popular in the last few years.
Small excavators are valuable if you can move them. I figure 8 tons is right for my trailer. My truck is big enough for a larger trailer, but is limited in horsepower. Vermont is all hills.
I own land a few miles away. I can drive there in 15 minutes in backhoe, I couldn't load an excavator in 15 minutes.

skyking1

I ran this Volvo 88 on Mt. Rainier in 2013-2014, and remember it was a really nice well balanced machine.
2014-11-12.jpg

I operated Deere 80s back in the day but both were really worn out.

MG84

Rented a Case CX60C 6-ton mini today and tried it out, thoroughly unimpressed. This was a machine that weighs almost 14K, has 65hp and 9100lbs of breakout force so it's decent sized for the class. It was also almost new, still had plastic on the seat and only 428hrs. Once positioned at a tree it was no faster than the 480E at digging the roots out and laying the tree down. In fact there were several trees the backhoe could reach up and push over with no digging that the CX60 had to take several swipes on three sides to loosen it to push it over. Seemed to have less breakout force despite what the spec sheet said. I honestly couldn't believe it as the 480E is small for a full size hoe (11000lbs, 60hp, 8200lbs bucket breakout) but it was outperforming an excavator that should have it beat. Lifting capacity wasn't much better, the 1845C skid steer could lift and carry stumps that the CX60 struggled with. It was so bad after less than an hour I called the rental place and informed them I was bringing it back that afternoon and wanted my money back for the one week rental I had planned. The only redeeming qualities were that it got around better in the mud and was quicker to get in position at each tree.

So I was thinking about renting some other brands and trying them, but now I'm not even sure if it's worth the time and money. I feel like I may be trying to bring a knife to a gun fight. I can only legally haul 17,000lbs on my trailer so that puts most 8-ton class machines out of my reach for the time being.

skyking1

I rented a smaller Case recently and no, it was not as handy as our 35G John Deere. I was 200 miles away from home and not bringing the mini there.

JaredV

I wouldn't be turned off on that size yet. I've never run a Case but the Cat, Tako, Komatsu and Kobelco 60 to 80 size that I've run were pretty all pretty strong. Well, except for the PC78 which wasn't much for speed or power but it was for sale for a good price. Give some other brands a try.

77Ford

I've certainly followed a little in your path, started collecting equipment along the way doing small jobs for people. Started out with a 450c track loader, added a F600 dump truck, added a skid steer and backhoe. While I don't do the size of projects you do the biggest and best upgrade I think I did was when I upgraded my F600 for a L8000 single axle dump truck. It has the fuller 13 speed(?), air brake and a cummins engine. That truck makes everything so much better, has power and brakes for days. I guess I kinda consider it the foundation of what I do and I want the best piece there. I was really fortunate I picked it up for 10k and truth be told I'd of paid 15k if they would of asked it.

That's just my 2cents and welcome to the board, I wish I had the guts to quite my day job and follow in your footsteps and full time it.

MG84

Today was far more successful than yesterday. Rented a Takeuchi TB260 with a cab and 24" bucket. It is so much better than the Case its almost like they aren't in the same league. The only downfall is this one doesn't have a thumb which was a real bummer. The rental place didn't know when any that size with thumbs would be in and I need this job done ASAP. I've gotten pretty good at picking up logs, stumps and such with just the bucket from running backhoes for so many years. Still though, with a thumb this would be a heck of a productive little machine.

Some observations:
-TB260 has far more breakout power than the CX60 and a noticeable amount more than my 480E
-Still doesn't have quite as much oomph with the boom to push over trees as the 480E which surprises me, must be the different geometry of the machines. What it lacks in that area it quickly makes up for in speed and precision.
-TB260 was equipped with a TAG bucket and quick coupler which was a lot less sloppy than the pin grabber style on the Case
-In hindsight the pin grabber coupler was probably really hurting the breakout force on the Case and it didn't have much to begin with
-These things are slow to travel, even with a thumb I wouldn't be carrying stuff too far. Need to be paired up with a dozer or loader for any kind of productivity on a large site.
-Not sure If I like the cab on this size machine. Kinda a pain to get in and out of which is important to me being a one man show. Between running the saw and the dozer I'm in and out of it all day.
-6 ton machine is plenty adequate for 90% of the work I do now that I found a decent one

We'll see how tomorrow goes, productivity was definitely up over that backhoe but it's hard to quantify exactly how much. So far I'm really liking this machine, glad I gave this size class another chance.

I've certainly followed a little in your path, started collecting equipment along the way doing small jobs for people. Started out with a 450c track loader, added a F600 dump truck, added a skid steer and backhoe. While I don't do the size of projects you do the biggest and best upgrade I think I did was when I upgraded my F600 for a L8000 single axle dump truck. It has the fuller 13 speed(?), air brake and a cummins engine. That truck makes everything so much better, has power and brakes for days. I guess I kinda consider it the foundation of what I do and I want the best piece there. I was really fortunate I picked it up for 10k and truth be told I'd of paid 15k if they would of asked it.

That's just my 2cents and welcome to the board, I wish I had the guts to quite my day job and follow in your footsteps and full time it.

If you can find a way to go full time, do it. I enjoy my both of my jobs (farming and contracting) so much I look forward to Monday so I can get back to work on my projects.

For the hauling/towing/on road portion I agree one of the heavier single axles would be nice, more power, more gears, higher tow capacity. The problem I've run into is when you get into the L8000 series, single axle Kenworths or Freightliners, etc they are way too heavy on the front end to go well off road. The F-series Fords and C-series Chevy medium duties are great for off highway work if setup correctly. The 7.8l in my F700 is a little heavier than I'd like, but it still goes pretty well. My F600 with the 429 gas motor goes excellent off road and is my site truck of choice between the two. Both are setup with a 10' bed (short wheelbase) and the most aggressive drive tires you can buy. They will take a load places many a 4wd F450/550 won't make it. Just don't get the front end pointed down hill and try to back up, then your done, lol.

skyking1

I suggest you try out an 8 ton now. Were you travelling in high range? usually they move fast enough for most things.

MG84

I suggest you try out an 8 ton now. Were you travelling in high range? usually they move fast enough for most things.

Unfortunately due to the steep hills here I feel I'm maxed out with this size machine as far as hauling goes. My dozer is just under 14,000lbs and that's really all I want to haul. There are hills so steep if you come to a stop on them with a heavy load there's a real possibility of wringing off a driveshaft trying to get moving again. I remember once I missed a gear in my fathers 4700 IH on a steep hill with 8 ton of rock on it. There was no way I was getting moving again with out either smoking the clutch or putting the driveshaft of the ground. Backed all the way down, started at the bottom in 1st and crawled up at 5mph. Another time I had to stop for a school bus on a steep hill when I was towing the backhoe which only weighs 11K. Line of cars behind me, so backing up wasn't an option. 1st gear, low axle, got it moving with the F600 but you could smell the clutch. In the winter when the roads are slick there are certain hills I'll drive 15mi out of my way to avoid.

The Case CX60 had an auto hi/lo speed on the tracks but in high it didn't have enough power to turn, had to shift back to low to make a turn which didn't seem right. The TB260 might have hi/lo speed on the tracks but I haven't been able to find a button/switch yet?

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Unfortunately due to the steep hills here I feel I'm maxed out with this size machine as far as hauling goes. My dozer is just under 14,000lbs and that's really all I want to haul. There are hills so steep if you come to a stop on them with a heavy load there's a real possibility of wringing off a driveshaft trying to get moving again. I remember once I missed a gear in my fathers 4700 IH on a steep hill with 8 ton of rock on it. There was no way I was getting moving again with out either smoking the clutch or putting the driveshaft of the ground. Backed all the way down, started at the bottom in 1st and crawled up at 5mph. Another time I had to stop for a school bus on a steep hill when I was towing the backhoe which only weighs 11K. Line of cars behind me, so backing up wasn't an option. 1st gear, low axle, got it moving with the F600 but you could smell the clutch. In the winter when the roads are slick there are certain hills I'll drive 15mi out of my way to avoid.

The Case CX60 had an auto hi/lo speed on the tracks but in high it didn't have enough power to turn, had to shift back to low to make a turn which didn't seem right. The TB260 might have hi/lo speed on the tracks but I haven't been able to find a button/switch yet?
Huh! Mine is Allison. Starting on a hill is never a problem. Speed is a problem. Plenty of hills it never gets out of first. one hill is a mile averages more than 10% grade meaning some of it is 15% or more. 17000 LB backhoe & 1-1/2 yard of haul away rocks, it was full throttle, low gear, 15 MPH, but I made it.

MG84

Huh! Mine is Allison. Starting on a hill is never a problem. Speed is a problem. Plenty of hills it never gets out of first. one hill is a mile averages more than 10% grade meaning some of it is 15% or more. 17000 LB backhoe & 1-1/2 yard of haul away rocks, it was full throttle, low gear, 15 MPH, but I made it.

Both of my Fords are a 5spd + 2spd rear axle, also have an old C60 Chevy with a 350 and 4+2 that I just use around the farm. I usually get a good run at a hill in high gear, hi axle. Start slowing down, drop to lo axle, then start dropping full gears until it'll pull it. Some hills I'll be on the low side of 2nd when I make it to the top which is about 10-15mph. If it doesn't make it in 2-LO your in trouble because first in all of those trucks is an unsynchornized granny gear, IE you'll probably be stopped before you get it in gear. Maybe someday I'll have one of these modern medium duties with 300hp, auto trans, etc. Heck I'd just be happy with a radio and A/C lol

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Both of my Fords are a 5spd + 2spd rear axle, also have an old C60 Chevy with a 350 and 4+2 that I just use around the farm. I usually get a good run at a hill in high gear, hi axle. Start slowing down, drop to lo axle, then start dropping full gears until it'll pull it. Some hills I'll be on the low side of 2nd when I make it to the top which is about 10-15mph. If it doesn't make it in 2-LO your in trouble because first in all of those trucks is an unsynchornized granny gear, IE you'll probably be stopped before you get it in gear. Maybe someday I'll have one of these modern medium duties with 300hp, auto trans, etc. Heck I'd just be happy with a radio and A/C lol
I upgraded from a C65. Mine had a 366 tall block truck engine I converted to a 427. I ran it 14 years. Early on it needed a full gas tank to climb a hill, As it aged it couldn't climb steep at all. I found a fuel filter with cracked O ring leaking air into the suction of the fuel pump. Nothing cured it! I finally added an electric fuel pump at the tank & in line fuel filters. Cured the problem.
The "NEW" 1990 Top Kick with Cat 3208 10.4 liter turbo diesel is NOT overpowered, but does make it up the steepest hills.

skyking1

sometimes the high range is a switch on one of the travel sticks. Bummer that you are at your trucking limits. I don't think the pin grabber has anything to do with that Case seeming weak, the one I used was a 37 so a little more machine than the 35G John Deere I run, and it was less capable. It was OK, just not thrilling.
It sounds like you are having fun trying out machines.

mitch504

I have a 22-ton trackhoe, and when I used to do that type of job, I frequently used my trackhoe to get stuff loose, and the loader of my 580 sK to transport it to the burn pile

MG84

sometimes the high range is a switch on one of the travel sticks. Bummer that you are at your trucking limits. I don't think the pin grabber has anything to do with that Case seeming weak, the one I used was a 37 so a little more machine than the 35G John Deere I run, and it was less capable. It was OK, just not thrilling.
It sounds like you are having fun trying out machines.

Found the high range switch, it was on the left stick, sure makes it a lot faster. Yes, I'm enjoying trying machines out, it's nice to compare and contrast the different brands. I hope to also try out a Kubota in this size as well as a Kato. Both the Case dealer and New Holland dealer rent and sell Kato brand mini excavators instead of there own (what does that tell you?). Haven't run a Kato but they had a 5-ton at the dealer I briefly looked at and was actually fairly impressed by it. Looked simple, rugged and no extra electronics, touch screens, etc. I believe the Kato mini line used to be IHI and are made in Japan.

I have a 22-ton trackhoe, and when I used to do that type of job, I frequently used my trackhoe to get stuff loose, and the loader of my 580 sK to transport it to the burn pile

If the conditions were drier and less steep this is what I do as well, except I was using a grapple bucket on my 1845C skid steer. What were you using on the 580SK, did you just have forks or some kind of grapple? I've often thought about adding a toothbar and grapple to the loader bucket on my 480E.

MG84

So I have some big updates to this thread, bought a new piece of equipment and it was one that wasn't even on my radar to begin with. After spending quite some time using the rented TB260 excavator I realized that more than half the time I was just using it for the thumb to move logs and debris across the muddy job site. This got me thinking that maybe a CTL is what I need. Looked at Case, Takeuchi and Kubota machines and ended up buying a new Kubota SVL 65-2. It's physically about the same size as my 1845c but with almost twice the lifting capacity and a lot more traction and flotation. At 8K lbs it's small enough to haul behind my pickup. I will definitely be adding an excavator sometime in the not so distant future, but I need a little more time to decide on what size, features, etc I want. Since the skid steer is my most used piece of equipment by far I figured it was the one to upgrade first. BTW, the Case 1845c isn't leaving the fleet, although it might spend more time on the farm than the job site now. It's the most reliable piece of equipment I've ever owned, nearly 5000hrs and never missed a days work and never a repair that cost more than $100. Pretty big shoes for the Kubota to live up to but time will tell.

Pics of the new SVL 65-2, got it for $9K off MSRP. Used the savings to buy a new grapple rake, a set of 5500lb walk through forks and a couple buckets. (That grapple rake is simply awesome for land clearing type work!)

IMG_0655.JPG
IMG_0657.JPG

skyking1

That looks awesome!
You could rent an ex for tearing out stuff quickly, and that thing would ball up a big wad of stuff and pack it off.