• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Engine Running Rich (But Not From An 02 Sensor)

Turbo360

Hi

I am working on what I believe to be a mid 2000s Clark CMP30, though I am unfortunately uncertain on the model number.

The forklift has 8300 hours on it and has been operating in an extreme manufacturing environment for the past few years so any model numbers or plates containing that information are worn off and / or covered by grime.

I'm quite sure the engine is a Mitsubishi 4G64 with propane EFI. It runs and drives normally (no misfires or anything like that) but it runs rich enough that there is a constant fowl smell from the exhaust and increased propane consumption.

To start, the oxygen sensor was replaced to no avail (even when allowing the engine to fully warm up).

I have done my best to test some other sensors including the 4 pin sensor on / just below the throttle body, as well as the 2 pin sensor near the throttle body on a hose canister, but all show power and the 2 pin sensor shows a change in voltage when using the throttle with the engine running. The 4 pin doesn't seem to change when running the engine, however unplugging it causes the RPMs to drop and eventually a stall. To clarify though, this is not the connector to the throttle body / butterfly itself as this sensor is slightly below that.

The air filter will be getting changed soon, however removing it and running the engine makes no difference in exhaust smell or RPMs.

As a last resort option, I have considered the possibility of a dirty throttle body but with my lack of knowledge in this area I was hoping to hear from someone more experienced with this configuration before I spend more time working on it. The forklift has plenty of power once the computer sees that it has warmed up though, so that starts to point me away from a throttle body problem.

I am by no means a certified forklift technician, but I know my way around engines fairly well, especially carbureted ones. However, propane EFI on top of the lack of on-board-diagnostics on this truck have got me scratching my head.

Any tips or clues on where I can look would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin

IMG_0778.jpgIMG_0780.jpgIMG_0781.jpg

Turbo360

That was one of my initial thoughts as well, however I dismissed it because (while I haven't tested temperature sensors) everything on the forklift behaves as if it is working.

When starting the engine cold (especially if it was left outside of a heated building overnight) the computer runs on fast idle for a bit which calms down after it starts reading temperature. Additionally, the temperature gauge does work, and the computer also appears to retard the timing significantly when the engine is cold, but advances it once it has warmed up as it has noticeably less power when cold, but quite a bit more when warm.

Zewnten

Propane regulator working properly? Propane mixer working right? If you take the propane to air manifold tube off and manually adjust the air gap does it run better?

Turbo360

I have not looked at those parts very closely thus far, but I will see what I can find. Thanks.