• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Engine Removal

Michael Caravaglia

Michael,
I have been reading this thread since the beginning, and have, for the most part resisted chiming in, because I worked on these units so long ago. But, with your problem of centering the torque converter, it made me think of how we used to do it, so I looked it up for my 86 Ford 445A, which is a similar setup. Reading it, it comes back to me. We had a Ford tool with pins in it that would center the torque converter. with the bolts slightly loose there is a little play that allows you to slide the plate on the converter. I am attaching the procedure, which must surly be in your book somewhere...This is for my 445A, but I remember doing it on the 555 and 555As. We actually had the tool, which is not sold by New Holland any more. I would think though, that if you take your readings and loosen slightly and bump the converter, it may move enough?? I really hate to see you struggle like this!

Swetz, thanks so much for weighing in; I sure do appreciate all the help I can get.

Regarding the attachment, I am very interested, but don't seem to be able to download it. The data shows it as a Pdf, which should be fine, but when I click on it, nothing happens. If you're willing, can you please email it to me at mcara1954@gmail.com?

One thing I'm a little confuse about, when referring to the bolts. There are two sets of bolts that affect this. First, there are 6 bolts attaching the converter to the flex-plate; and secondly, there are 8 bolts connecting the flex-plate to the flywheel. So, in regard to a tool for centering, I'm assuming this would be the first set of 6 bolts, which would ensure the converter sits centered on the flex-plate. Can you please clarify which set of bolts you are referencing?

Michael Caravaglia

Hopefully you can locate or have that tool made somewhere.
Sometimes just leaving the flex-plate bolts loose on the convertor and turning the flywheel a revolution will center the plate up with the convertor.

Tink, I have the same question for you as I replied below to Swetz. In your post, you must be referring to the 8 bolts that connect the converter to the flywheel. Once the flex-plate with the converter is mounted to the flywheel, the other 6 bolts are not accessible.

Tinkerer

That is why I said sometimes it can be lined up by rotating it with the bolts loose.
It appears to me any machine shop could make the alignment tool.
I am posting the service book pages for the benefit of those reading this and can't see it in Swetz's post.
I still think you need to measure the forward and rearward movement of the convertor before you bolt it up to the flex plate and flywheel.
If you don't, I think you could run the risk of destroying the convertor or another motor.
Remember the engine crankshaft cannot be forced ahead or pulled back by the componets that are bolted to the flywheel. That is why there is a flex-plate in the driveline.

212.png 213.png

Last edited:

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Thank you, Tinkerer. I am not sure why others could not open the file?? I turned the pages into PNG files, and inserted them in here just to see if everyone could see them.

Anyhow, If you know of an older Ford/New Holland dealer, they may have this tool and center up the converter for a small fee...it is worth a try.

Michael...Sent you the file as a PDF and PNG. I hope it helps!

upload_2020-11-18_15-15-16.png

upload_2020-11-18_15-15-55.png

Michael Caravaglia

Thank you, Tinkerer. I am not sure why others could not open the file?? I turned the pages into PNG files, and inserted them in here just to see if everyone could see them.

Anyhow, If you know of an older Ford/New Holland dealer, they may have this tool and center up the converter for a small fee...it is worth a try.

Michael...Sent you the file as a PDF and PNG. I hope it helps!

View attachment 228090

View attachment 228091

Swetz,
I read through these two pages. I also just emailed you the same two pages from my manual, which has no reference whatsoever to this centering tool. See the image below from your manual. I have to imagine a machine shop could make this easy enough.

Alignment Tool.PNG Alignment Tool.PNG

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Michael,
Yes, we had the tool and used it on all the ford 555 and 555A tractors back in the day. I contacted the guys in the shop and it is long since gone. In fact, no one knew what I was talking about, but, in all fairness, all the guys that worked on that vintage backhoe have left the shop, as have I. Anyhow, it did engage in the center as well as the 2 outside ends. There were 2 sets of pins at the outer end because it fit multiple Ford setups. If I remember correctly, we would put the tool on and snug the bolts then move the tool 90 degrees to check, then torque the bolts. I guess it could be made, but the distance from the pins would have to be exact.
When I was searching for it online (I thought maybe an old one would be on ebay), it was funny to find that there is a similar tool available for Ford car transmissions. Not the exact tool but same principal.
http://www.adaptacase.com/t-0519ac.html

Michael Caravaglia

Michael,
Yes, we had the tool and used it on all the ford 555 and 555A tractors back in the day. I contacted the guys in the shop and it is long since gone. In fact, no one knew what I was talking about, but, in all fairness, all the guys that worked on that vintage backhoe have left the shop, as have I. Anyhow, it did engage in the center as well as the 2 outside ends. There were 2 sets of pins at the outer end because it fit multiple Ford setups. If I remember correctly, we would put the tool on and snug the bolts then move the tool 90 degrees to check, then torque the bolts. I guess it could be made, but the distance from the pins would have to be exact.
When I was searching for it online (I thought maybe an old one would be on ebay), it was funny to find that there is a similar tool available for Ford car transmissions. Not the exact tool but same principal.
http://www.adaptacase.com/t-0519ac.html

Yes, I found the same one online that you did. Nothing like a challenge!

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Michael Caravaglia,
Any updates? I see you have not been on the forum since December of last year. Love to hear if you got it all sorted out??

Michael Caravaglia

Hello Swetz; thanks for checking in. I've actually (surprisingly) done very little with this since my last post.

Just before winter hit, I'd managed to get the run-out within spec and connected the two halves of the tractor back together successfully. Then the snow hit. Heavy winter out east.

Over the winter I decided to build a large finished room in my basement. I wanted to get past the framing inspection before getting back to outside work, which just happened last week. Then, I took off for a week of camping. I'm heading home tomorrow afternoon and hope to finish with the tractor next week.

All I have left is to install the fuel injectors, the hydraulic power steering pump and connect all of the hoses. Then I can reinstall the fuel tank and the electrical wiring. Then I'll bleed the lines and crank that puppy over. I'm feeling optimistic about it now.

I'll post an update on the day of reckoning!

Best regards,
Michael

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
COOL!!! Thanks for responding...I have wondered how you made out for a long time and decided to write you today....glad I did:).

How did you get the runout corrected?

Cannot wait for good news...that it is all fixed:D.

Michael Caravaglia

COOL!!! Thanks for responding...I have wondered how you made out for a long time and decided to write you today....glad I did:).

How did you get the runout corrected?

Cannot wait for good news...that it is all fixed:D.

Hello Swetz. As requested, I'm delivering the "good news". I (finally) finished adding all of the components back onto the tractor this past weekend, added all of the fluids and cranked 'er over. Started right up and purrs like a kitten! Everything seems to be fine. I did 360's around the field yesterday in celebration!

Regarding the Torque Converter run-out, I never got it in spec. From all the information I found, it seemed all I needed to do was keep rotating the converter position on the flywheel until I got the best runout possible. Then, put the converter onto the flywheel and only turn the bolts down without tightening them, so the converter could still be moved around a bit. You then, hand-crank the engine over a few times (in each direction) to let the converter seat itself. Hopefully, it will hold up.

I wonder what my next challenge will be??

Thanks for your interest and all of your input. I could never have done the things I did without this forum and y'all who contribute.